FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Do I Avoid Aliasing (Jagged Edges) on Imported Graphic Files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miles Adam
How Do I Avoid Aliasing (Jagged Edges) on Imported Graphic Files
on Apr 1, 2015 at 6:46:45 pm

I am working on a FCP7 project in 1920x1080 aspect ratio (HDTV 1080i in sequence settings). My client has provided a crisp, good sized graphic of their logo in both .jpg and .png form. When I import either into my project and lay onto the sequence the logo is afflicted with terrible jagged edges. If I import the same logo into a different project which is set at HDTV 720p then the image is perfect. How do I overcome this aliasing in 1080i? Do I need to adjust something in FCP or save the graphic in a different form before importing?

Many thanks in advance,

Miles Adam.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: How Do I Avoid Aliasing (Jagged Edges) on Imported Graphic Files
on Apr 1, 2015 at 7:34:49 pm

[Miles Adam] "(HDTV 1080i in sequence settings)."

That's an interlaced sequence.

[Miles Adam] "If I import the same logo into a different project which is set at HDTV 720p then the image is perfect. How do I overcome this aliasing in 1080i? "

What happens when you set the canvas to display both fields at once? Regardless, interlaced media always displays with jagged edges on a computer screen but will be just fine on a TV monitor (if you have it connected via an I/O box). Unless it's for TV, change your sequence setting to 1080p and see if that helps.

Return to posts index

Miles Adam
on Apr 1, 2015 at 8:50:04 pm

Thanks for the reply Gary,

The footage that I use for the show comes to me as XDCam HD 1080i50 and the broadcaster has requested I send them the finished show in 1080i50 so I set my sequence up to match this. I am monitoring via a Blackmagic card with HDMI to a TV monitor. On the sequence settings for this timeline I have the frame size set at 1920x1080 which automatically sets the aspect ratio to HDTV 1080i (16:9). The quicktime video Compressor settings are at XDCam HD422 1080i50 (50mps).

Do you suggest de-interlacing all the 1080i footage and editing in 1080p then using quicktime converter on the output to sent the show at 1080i? If so what set up do suggest I use? Do I have to change all my monitoring parameters in the Audio/Video Settings as well? Or is there something I can do to the graphic files themselves prior to importing them to avoid all this hassle and stop the aliasing?

- Miles.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 1, 2015 at 9:14:55 pm

Final Cut 7 can mistake your intentions when importing a large graphic, scaling it down on import. Scaling that back up then looks bad. If this is the source of your problem (can't be sure it is), visit to the prefs and settings for import at full-rez will help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]