FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 Multicam Bug (not switching angles where it did before)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Rouric
FCP7 Multicam Bug (not switching angles where it did before)
on Mar 30, 2015 at 9:10:55 am
Last Edited By Jeff Rouric on Mar 30, 2015 at 10:05:24 am

Hi, so I realize FCP7 is no longer supported by Apple, but I figured I'd come in here and see if anyone's run into this before and how to possibly fix it.

So I'm editing a HUGE (2 hour) sequence full of multiclip footage and for the most part it's been working fine. However it seems that here and there, clips that switched angles aren't switching, rather they're jumping to a different part of the same clip. The audio is playing, and the new videos are out of sync. Weirdly enough, if I open the multiclip, in the preview, I'll see that it's replaced both angles (only 2) with the same camera's clip, but from two different times.

BUT if I go over the trouble clip and hit F to match frame, the viewer WILL jump to the right clip (just the one) and I can drag it back into the place where it should be. That's a quick fix, but it breaks the option of multiclip switching that section ever again.

Again, everything worked fine while I was editing. The problems seem to appear only after finishing up and exporting. The first time it happened I thought it was a corrupt fluke, but it's happening too often now.

I've mostly made edits via on the fly multicam, if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, the multiclip in the bin is working. It's the one in the sequence that's screwed up.

EDIT: It seems this didn't happen on the exported video. Only in the sequence now that I've opened it again after a week of it not working. OH another thing is that it was moved between 2 computers. VERY possible due to having to reconnect media a few times now that I think of it. I'll try reconnecting again.

It didn't work. And when I took everything offline so I could see where everything was pointing to, the troubled clip's pointers were off (both angles were A cam) so it's not just a matter of the footage connections getting screwed up. Something changed deep in the multiclip (but not the one in the bin) for some reason.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP7 Multicam Bug (not switching angles where it did before)
on Mar 30, 2015 at 4:08:31 pm

The 800-pound gorilla in the room -- what is the codec of the footage?

If it isn't in the ProRes family, you're asking for trouble.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Rouric
on Mar 31, 2015 at 3:47:50 am
Last Edited By Jeff Rouric on Mar 31, 2015 at 4:00:12 am

Arg...DVCPRO HD 720p60 codec....and sequence matched that...

I know that converting EVERYTHING to ProRes422 before editing is the proper thing to do (but to be honest I'm not sure what the best way to do that is), but I've worked many other projects with the same codec without converting and had no problems like this. Converting makes every clip bigger and then I'll have 2 copies of footage and have to keep the DVCPro around just in case. I don't have that kind of storage though. On a higher quality project I would invest the time and money but these are not worth it I think, just as long as it works.

It's really that important huh? I mean if that's the only way to prevent it I'd rather just fix it here and there the way I described when it happens on these. That'll take 5-10 annoying minutes as opposed to a day or two of converting over 400 clips.

But please explain

Thanks

Also, I only noticed today that on the current project this happened to, it happened near a part that was stabilized using the SmoothCam filter. Everything was normal after you passed that clip. Perhaps that may have something to do with it? I don't remember if that was a common factor of the others that this happened to. To be clear, it only happened to one multiclip, but since I'd made multiples edits before, it became multiple clips. And the set of clips from that multiclip ended on a different clip, which was stabilized.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2015 at 4:44:23 pm

Sorry, DVCProHD is okay for FCP, too. I feared the footage came from DSLR's.

I'd agree that Smoothcam is messing things up. I'd apply smoothcam to a duplicate, non-edited clip, export as DVCProHD, fix the new clip's time code as necessary and use it for multicam.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Rouric
on Apr 2, 2015 at 7:44:12 am
Last Edited By Jeff Rouric on Apr 2, 2015 at 7:47:11 am

Thanks, and wait I'm sorry, I didn't understand that. What exactly do you want me to do? Is this a test to see if it's the smoothcam causing it?

So you want me to pick another clip that doesn't have smoothcam on it and try that out, and then export that clip with smoothcam on it and use the exported clip instead?

Also, is there a way to link a clip to a source so that if you add a filter to the source video, it will add that filter to every instance that that clip is used in the timeline? Besides adding the filter to the master clip in the browser, exporting, and replacing the file that all the timeline clips link to outside FCP, and then reconnecting to the edited master clip, that is?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]