FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony F5/XAVC footage to Pro Res for FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magee McIlvaine
Sony F5/XAVC footage to Pro Res for FCP7
on Mar 28, 2015 at 4:57:26 am

Hey All,

I need to do a quick turnaround on some footage this weekend for a client. The footage is XAVC shot on Sony F5. I was given the raw files in XDROOT folder structure. Is there a way to convert these files to Apple Pro Res, ultimately for use with FCP7? I don't have FCPX handy at the moment to use, and after reading a lot of threads about this issue, am aware that the plugins setup for FCPX don't work with FCP7. Is there another way, besides software like brorsoft?

Thank you for your time and help
-magee

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: Sony F5/XAVC footage to Pro Res for FCP7
on Mar 31, 2015 at 1:42:14 pm

Yeah, you need software to interpret the folder structure then convert to ProRes. I can't remember the name but I know it's expensive, $250 or so. If you know someone with FCPX perhaps they could convert your files to Quicktime for you.

Return to posts index

Magee McIlvaine
on Mar 31, 2015 at 2:10:39 pm

Thanks Roger.
I just did a conversion with Compressor and that worked simply enough. For some reason, I didn't see that come up in many threads I read about this issue. Any idea why? Is there a dramatic loss in quality by using compressor to trasncode to ProRes?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Mar 31, 2015 at 4:42:38 pm

Actually I've never used footage from these Sony cameras but was interested to know for future reference in case I hit the same problem. I mentioned it to a colleague and he gave me the info that I gave to you.

Just done a quick search and found this:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2013/04/05/how-to-import-f5f55-footage-in-fcp-avid...

There is a workflow method in there for FCP7 but things seem simpler in X. Anyway it's good to hear that you have managed to convert the files in Compressor. ProRes is definitely the way to go and I don't think there would be any quality loss if done correctly. Hopefully you'll get the job done now. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Magee McIlvaine
on Apr 1, 2015 at 4:57:52 am

Very strange. I just double checked the converted files from compressor and while all the settings were correct and the clips look good, they are shortened versions of the actual original clips. Some how the footage got cut down dramatically through the conversion process. I have no idea why. If anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear why. That said, for future reference, it looks like EditReady and Sony's Catalyst Browse ultimately do the trick.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Apr 2, 2015 at 3:28:07 pm

you need a UFUSOFT converter which is about 60 bucks,

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid