FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why does my movie look squiggly and jaggy?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Pepper
Why does my movie look squiggly and jaggy?
on Mar 27, 2015 at 12:58:53 am

I'm going to be projecting the movie from my laptop. If I can make it look okay.
It's 640 X 480 sq pixies Apple PRO RES HQ 422
I've deinterlaced it using Nattress and sent it to Compressor as Apple Pro Res HQ 422.
But all the diagonals look squiggly. I can't seem to upload a 293 megapixel video file to give an example.

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
Re: Why does my movie look squiggly and jaggy?
on Mar 27, 2015 at 5:16:15 am

HERE'S A LINK
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qwxopgq7z0ljfq/Problem%20with%20pro%20res.mov?dl...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:27:58 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 27, 2015 at 3:43:44 pm

I doubt this footage is originally 640x480. What was it originally?

What is the original footage's frame rate? Are there various rates?
What's the frame rate of your FCP edit timeline?
Why do the images look posterized, i.e. a limited pallette of colors? If we were in the days of analog videotape recorders, we'd say it looks like a 4th or 5th generation dub.
How was the footage shot, if you shot it for this project?
If the footage comes from multiple sources, what are their specs and their provenance?
How was the footage ingested into FCP?

And finally... why 640x480? Seems kind of odd in this day & age.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Mar 27, 2015 at 7:30:43 pm

Thanks for answering!
First, it's 640 X 480 because it was shot standard (720 X 480) and then because of advice I got from this forum I changed it and also to square pixels. Over time these clips were modified using After Effects (and rendered out in Animation) and using Studio Artist (which was also Animation).

It's the Studio Artist that makes the effect you mentioned. I did that because I'm also using animated material and it looks better with that than stark reality. It's a step away from real -- which I wanted. So the footage has been trashed to some extent. I can't go back to the original footage.

I've done a deeper de-interlace with Natress and that helps the squiggles & pixelation somewhat. I would love to find a cure, but maybe there is none, because the footage is so various and strange. I CAN'T go back to the original un-modified footage. There's too much and it's in too many places.

You can see what I'm talking about at
http://straightlife.info/movielinks.html Some of it looks pretty good. It's been turned into flash (by somebody else) from mostly Animation 720 X 480 codec.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 27, 2015 at 9:39:30 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 27, 2015 at 10:17:21 pm

If it was shot at 720x480 it explains the 640x480. But it also means the footage was shot SD, and there's a VERY good chance it was shot interlaced scan unless you know for a fact is was shot progressive scan. That's when any interlacing issues should have been addressed: before editing, and before color grading.

If you can't go back to the original footage, you'll have to live with it. Additional attempts at deinterlacing won't help matters.

The video in the link illustrating the problem also appeared to be scaled up, which would only exascerbate any problems.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]