FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 Slow Motion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Mertz
Final Cut Pro 7 Slow Motion
on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:28:20 am

I'm shooting with a Nikon D7100 at 1080 60fps and then convert it to Apple ProRes 422 or Apple ProRes 422 HQ. First, what's the difference with the 2 and will it be a noticeable difference? Second, in Final Cut 7, when I try to slow it down to 60%, it's real jittery. I'm sure my FCP settings need changed, but I'm not sure to what. Third, when converting the clips, do I need to change anything else other than the codec such as the frame rate or chance it from interlace to deinterlace? Finally, should I only be shooting at 60fps when I intend to use slow motion? I just made the switch to DSLR cameras and I never had this problem with my previous cameras.

ANYTHING IS GREATLY APPRECIATED AND A HUGE HELP!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 Slow Motion
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:06:56 am

[Alex Mertz] "Apple ProRes 422 or Apple ProRes 422 HQ. First, what's the difference with the 2 and will it be a noticeable difference?"

ProRes 422 and HQ are both 10-bit codecs, but ProRes HQ is meant for 10-bit camera originals...your camera shoots 8 bit. So it's best to use ProRes 422 for it. You won't see any difference between the two codecs, but HQ is 50% larger, so the only gains you'll see are larger file sizes...more space taken up.

[Alex Mertz] "Second, in Final Cut 7, when I try to slow it down to 60%, it's real jittery. I'm sure my FCP settings need changed, but I'm not sure to what."

Well, if you put the 60fps into FCP, and into a 60fps sequence, when you slow that 50%...every frame is repeated, so it'll jutter. If you put it into a 30fps sequence...the footage will conform to 30fps...so slow it down and you again get repeated frames.

What you need to do is use Cinema Tools to CONFORM the footage to the frame rate you want, and THEN import into FCP. NOTE! The conform is "destructive," meaning it'll change the original clip to slow motion, and you can't change it back. So if you only want those clips to be slo-mo, then go for it. But if you want to use some shots normal speed, then duplicate the clip and conform the duplicate. And know that for the slow motion to look smooth, you need to be editing in a 29.97fps or 23.98fps sequence...so the slow motion is conformed to those speeds. Tutorial on that here:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/slow-motion_cinema-tools/1

[Alex Mertz] "when converting the clips, do I need to change anything else other than the codec such as the frame rate or chance it from interlace to deinterlace?"

No. Your camera shoots progressive...not interlaced. So that's already done. As for frame rate...look at the above answer.

[Alex Mertz] "Finally, should I only be shooting at 60fps when I intend to use slow motion?"

Yes. Because your main footage should be 23.98 or 29.97, so the slow motion will be smooth...every one of the 60fps played back, but slowed down to 23.98 or 29.97. If you slow 60fps down and use it in a 60fps timeline...well...as stated, every frame will repeat.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]