FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining DVCProHD files and MOV files on a FCP6 timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Davis
Combining DVCProHD files and MOV files on a FCP6 timeline
on Mar 24, 2015 at 5:03:46 pm

I'm starting a new project where I'll be using a PanasonicHPX170 camcorder (DVCProHD) for interviews and a Canon EOS60d DSLR for B-Roll.

Any workflow suggestions (i.e. transcode to ProRes via Compressor) prior to editing on a Final Cut Pro 6 timeline will be much appreciated.

I'm trying to avoid issues in Post down the line. It's a documentary so possible deliverables include: DCP (film festival exhibition copies),
Broadcast, Video on Demand and DVDs.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Combining DVCProHD files and MOV files on a FCP6 timeline
on Mar 24, 2015 at 5:54:04 pm

Don't forget to establish a frame rate for shooting and delivery.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:30:23 am

Thanks for the reminder, if I had to guess at this point distribution would most likely be Video on Demand and/or DVDs. That being said, I'm wondering if shooting 24p (presumably for a more "filmlike" look) would
create issues/additional costs for Broadcast or DVD creation. I'm assuming 24p is a plus for DCP creation, but would appreciate any helpful feedback.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:55:50 am

24p is fine for VOD and broadcast. A majority of broadcast shows are shot and edited at 24p...and most delivered that way too. And then they are converted to 29.97 for air. Either by you, or the network...depends on what they ask for. But broadcast is 29.97...even though a lot of shows are shot 24p.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 24, 2015 at 5:58:11 pm

The DVCPRO HD will come is as DVCPRO HD...no need to convert that to ProRes. Zero gain other than file size. DVCPRO HD is as full resolution as it gets. SO...convert the Canon DSLR to ProRes 422, and use a ProRes 422 sequence.

Yes...get the frame rate figured out now, and make sure both cameras use it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:34:29 am

Thanks again for another helpful answer to one of my posts.

The aspect ratio of the frame on the DVCProHD is 1280x1080 versus the
DSLR MOV clips that are 1920x1080 before and after ProRes 422 conversion.

Will both aspect ratios work together on a FCP6 editing timeline where the sequence setting is ProRes 422?

I'm concerned there may be some quality loss if the DVCProHD files are "blown up" to the 1920x1080 aspect ratio of the MOV files on a ProRes 422 1920x1080 sequence setting.

Both cameras have 24p settings, and I was planning on using that frame rate in hopes of achieving a more "filmlike" look.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:54:47 am

DVCPRO HD is anamorphic...squeezed. If you looked at the frame exactly how it was shot, you'll see it's 4:3 and people are very tall and skinny. FCP unsqueezes it when you play it back...or, if you put it into a 1920x1080 timeline, it also becomes unsqueezed. DVCPRO HD is a very light codec, less data rate, because of this anamorphic shooting style...and other things (compression type). ZERO quality will be lost in this unsqueezing process...no compression is happening...nothing is getting blown up.

Now...note this. Your DSLR shoots 24p at 23.98fps. Actual 24fps. The DVCPRO HD camera only shoots 23.98 when it's in the 720p 24PN setting. Every 1080 format it shoots runs at 29.97fps. BUT...if you set it for 1080i 24pA, then it will shoot in ADVANCED PULLDOWN REMOVAL mode, and when you log and transfer that into FCP, FCP will remove the redundant frames and get it to 23.98. ONLY if you shoot 1080i 24pA will that occur. Every other 24p setting at 1080i shoots 29.97 and will come in at 29.97. So, shoot tests, and do test imports.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:19:04 am

Thanks for such a detailed and comprehensive answer. You've been a tremendous help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]