FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up a FCP 7 project file

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caroline Scott
Backing up a FCP 7 project file
on Mar 22, 2015 at 9:34:05 pm

I am editing off my external hard drive, where all my files are that have been inserted in to my project via log and transfer.

I am wondering how I make a back up copy of my project file, out side of my hard drive - say on my computer desktop - so that if the worst was to happen and my hard drive breaks, I would still be able to access my project?

Of course I have a back up copy of my footage on my computer, and I have saved a back up project file to my computer too, but because the project has needed a log and transfer insert in to my project, I am unsure as to whether these files would reconnect to my back up data on my computer if my hard drive was to break? Thank you for your help!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Backing up a FCP 7 project file
on Mar 22, 2015 at 9:38:52 pm

A back up means on a separate hard drive. Your desktop is part of your internal hard drive. I always back up my project to the media drive at the end of the day. Two separate drives.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Caroline Scott
on Mar 22, 2015 at 11:33:05 pm

Ok, so backing up my project on to another hard drive sorted - but what about the footage IN my project - this would surely be disconnected? And because I log and transferred it in would I be able to reconnect it in the usual way?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 23, 2015 at 1:20:13 am

[Caroline Scott] "but what about the footage IN my project - this would surely be disconnected?"

What about the footage? How would it get disconnected? No...if your footage remains where it is, you can copy the project file anywhere...It'll still look for the media where it expects it to be.

Are you talking about backing up all your MEDIA? Not the project file...but the MEDIA...all the video files?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Caroline Scott
on Mar 23, 2015 at 8:56:13 am

Thank you for your help - let me explain!!

My footage is on my Seagate external hard drive.

On this Seagate hard drive I created a FCP 7 project and log and transferred my footage in, because rather than there being individual files to do a file/insert, on my memory card they are shown as one file called AVCHD.

I have a back up of this AVCHD file on my computer and also a back up of my FCP7 project.

If my hard drive were to break, and I had to open my back up on the desktop of my mac, my files would be offline. My question is whether I would easily be able to reconnect these files to the back up AVCHD file even though I used log and transfer to insert them in to my project. In the past, I have only reconnected files that I've inserted via File/insert.

Return to posts index

Caroline Scott
on Mar 23, 2015 at 8:57:50 am

Therefore 'reconnecting' my files in my BACK UP project to my BACK UP footage media files. hope this makes sense :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 23, 2015 at 3:33:35 pm

[Caroline Scott] "On this Seagate hard drive I created a FCP 7 project and log and transferred my footage in, because rather than there being individual files to do a file/insert, on my memory card they are shown as one file called AVCHD.

I have a back up of this AVCHD file on my computer and also a back up of my FCP7 project."

So the CONVERTED MEDIA and the PROJECT FILE are on both the external and the system drive? Or is the CAMERA ORIGINAL in both locations? I'm really confused, sorry. Let me tell you what I'm used to having...

Project file on the system drive. That's the Final Cut Pro project file...I have those stored in my FCP PROJECTS folder in my DOCUMENTS. Now, the CONVERTED MEDIA is on an external MEDIA drive. This is the footage that I converted from AVCHD, or other source. This is the MEDIA that I edit with. The CAMERA ORIGINALS are on yet another drive, or in my case, set of drives. These are the ARCHIVE DRIVES. I have two drives with duplicate CAMERA MASTERS...because hard drives fail, and I want to ensure that I don't lose them.

So:

1) SYSTEM DRIVE - FCP project file
2) MEDIA DRIVE - converted media...stuff log and transferred from the CAMERA MASTERS. On this drive I will also have a backup of my Project File.
3) ARCHIVE DRIVES - Camera Masters.

I don't back up my media. That's why I retain my camera masters. If I lose the converted media, I simply batch capture from the camera archives. THOSE are what I keep two copies of. Because the camera masters typically take up less space than the converted media.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Caroline Scott
on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:16:18 pm

I see what you mean but I have not converted anything myself - I simply copied the exact contents of the cameras memory card on to my hard drive and another copy on to my computer. I'm guessing FCP 7 converted it from AVCHD to pro reds when I log and transferred it in to the project file...so if my hard drive was to break, the only files i would have would be the raw, unconverted files on my desktop. Which I'm guessing would not connect to my back up project's footage?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 23, 2015 at 6:30:50 pm

[Caroline Scott] " I see what you mean but I have not converted anything myself"

You did, actually...when you Log and Transferred the footage. That converts it to ProRes, and puts them in your Capture Scratch folder. Where is that set to be? Go into the System Settings to see where those files went.

[Caroline Scott] "I simply copied the exact contents of the cameras memory card on to my hard drive and another copy on to my computer."

OK, that's two copies. But really, neither should be stored on your System Drive, nor your media drive. You need a completely different drive, separate from system and editing drive, in which to store these. And FCP isn't referencing those at all while you edit...it's looking at the converted ProRes files.

[Caroline Scott] ".so if my hard drive was to break, the only files i would have would be the raw, unconverted files on my desktop."

Correct. If your external drive died, all you'd have is your project file, and the RAW camera backups on your system drive. But that'll get you back to editing again. Still...keep those camera mastsers on another drive.

[Caroline Scott] "Which I'm guessing would not connect to my back up project's footage?"

Well, if you Log and Transferred from those...FCP still knows where they are. Simply doing a BATCH CAPTURE will make new ProRes files from those.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Caroline Scott
on Apr 1, 2015 at 9:52:35 am

Hi Shane,

Sorry about the delay in reply - I've been trying to get my head round it all! I have just bought a new external hard drive and would like to use it to edit my projects off.

As I type this, I have copied and pasted all the contents of my old one (with my fcp7 projects on, date, files and where the scratch disks are set). When I open the project on my NEW hard drive, will I need to reconnect all my media? Will this be ok to use to edit? Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]