Organizing, deleting multiple copies from multiple drives

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abbie SJ Lara
Organizing, deleting multiple copies from multiple drives
on Mar 22, 2015 at 10:47:06 am
Last Edited By Abbie SJ Lara on Mar 22, 2015 at 11:04:35 am

Hello.

After editing a film for almost two years, it's now time to media manage all my files. The film is not your typical narrative film. It does not have a script. It spanned almost 38 years in the making. It's sort of an experimental kind of film Haha.

And so, I have multiple external hard disks that sometimes contain copies of master clips because the filmmaker and I edited the videos and we would always copy each other's fcp project files. I mean, he would first edit one sequence of a scene in the film, I would copy that sequence to my project and clean it up or improve the scene. So whatever footage he has, I have the same. The reconnecting of these files is another saga.

What I am facing now is a huge work of media managing all the files and deleting all duplicated master clips from these drives, and to come up with just 2 duplicated master files on 2 separate hard drives, one for me and one for the filmmaker, in just 2 days. Here are specific situation I am in (haha!):

1) When we started, we have around 2 copies of the first set of master clips in 2 drives when we started (one for the filmmaker who initially edits a sequence, and one for me to work and improve the sound, etc.) And as we go along, we would also have piles of videos FROM a media manage I did in the past. By now, I have around 8 external hard disks. gash.

2) This is because we were adding scenes, and as we edit thru the years, I would save it in each drive we are using until it gets full.

3) sometimes, the filmmaker would get another editor to help us edit (to beat a deadline for an international screening, it was, after all, a film-always-in-progress) and I would media manage a sequence I have worked on (eventually having another drive for the project and media for the new editor to work on). so this would add similar footage to my already growing copies of the same footage.

4) Given this situation, I am reluctant to delete files because it may set some of my clips in my most recent project offline :( But I don't have much time. huhuhu!

Do you guys have any tips in how to start organising, deleting double or triple copies from drives? How do I go about this without deleting master files? Do I start working on an exported, most recent file of the soon-to-be finished film in a new project and start from there? How do I go about searching copies of files and retain copies of master clips for just 2 separate drives each?

Thank you so much!

Abbie

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Organizing, deleting multiple copies from multiple drives
on Mar 22, 2015 at 2:37:52 pm

This is precisely what Media Manager was designed to do. One of it functions allows a user to select only the sequences and bins you deem important, and it will gather those and the media in them, and it will copy only those to a new drive.

Using the copy function to a new drive is non-destructive, so in case a mistake is made there no harm, no foul. If you use move function it is destructive, so don't use it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]