FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cinematic plugins for FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vanessa Lee
Cinematic plugins for FCP7?
on Mar 20, 2015 at 9:41:30 pm

Does anyone know of any good (preferably free) cinematic plugins for FCP7?

I wanted to have presets in FCP to quickly get a sequence or clips into various film-look without having to use Motion of After Effects.

Thanks. :)

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
Re: Cinematic plugins for FCP7?
on Mar 20, 2015 at 9:53:39 pm
Last Edited By Ken Maxwell on Mar 20, 2015 at 10:02:41 pm

What does "cinematic" mean? Contrast, exposure, colorimetry, artistic, composition, mood, flair, taste, moves, or all of the above.

Return to posts index

Vanessa Lee
on Mar 20, 2015 at 10:48:32 pm

A plugin that has presets for various film looks, I believe DxO Optics Pro had that built in. But it's for images, not video. I was wondering if FCP7 has any plugin like that?

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
on Mar 21, 2015 at 12:04:50 am
Last Edited By Ken Maxwell on Mar 21, 2015 at 12:16:44 am

I didn't mean to be flippant, above, it is just that "cinematic" is so subjective. It can mean so many things to so many people that it is almost impossible to define, let along build a plugin to satisfy everyone.
FCP-7's 3-way color corrector can do about as good of a job providing the variables to do about anything to a picture. We use it a lot to add the look we want for a particular project. You should find this useful in building your own "cinematic" feel.

Return to posts index

Vanessa Lee
on Mar 21, 2015 at 12:16:54 am

Yes I often use Color Corrector 3-Way.

I'm just looking for someone who has made presets, and options to add vignette and such.

The reason is that I am a very technically minded person, I like to use standards and follow rules on proper and best cinematic looks, in other words, I don't like to re-invent the wheel. I always look to those who have pioneered and already did the work so their efforts are not in vein. :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 21, 2015 at 12:35:35 am

There were a few options available...when FCP 7 was current software. Now that it's been discontinued for 4 years, finding the plugins for it might prove impossible. There was Magic Bullet Looks from redgiant.com. But now those are only for FCX, Motion 5, Adobe, and Avid. Those are color correction presets, with ways to make your own. Nattress.com has ways to make 30fps play back as 24fps...but no color presets.

I know a talented colorist would help, but also the way you light your film during production plays a HUGE part, as do the lenses you use. Part of the cinematic look is dramatic lighting, and shallow depth of field...not something that's fakeable in post. The plugins can help a little, but Looks is no longer available for FCP 7.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vanessa Lee
on Mar 21, 2015 at 12:46:34 am

I mostly need color presets, I shoot with a pro camera, and yes, good use of light is the most important thing for me.

Btw I got FCP7 in 2011, right when it got discontinued? what a ripoff!!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 21, 2015 at 2:18:43 am

Graeme Nattress has a set of plug-in for various film looks.
http://www.nattressplugins.com/film-effects/

i cant remember anyone else, sorry,
oh, no hang on , there was an Aussie DOP who made some pre-sets for a TV show he was shooting, then released them.
http://www.thegradingsweet.com/web/

nick

Return to posts index

Vanessa Lee
on Mar 21, 2015 at 2:25:08 am

Thanks Nick, they are not free but I will try them out.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 23, 2015 at 3:16:02 pm

Another recommendation for Nattress.

You might also try motionVFX, which has grain patterns and colorization plug ins. Don't know if they've dropped the FCP7 ones they had yet, but if you contact them, they might have some left in stock. These won;t be free, but they are very, very good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]