FORUMS: list search recent posts

Livetype text animation without livetype

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Etcheverry
Livetype text animation without livetype
on Mar 17, 2015 at 2:44:25 pm

Greetings from Venezuela. I'll ask the short version of my question first, I have a video with some livetype text I need to edit and don't have livetype (I have FCP 7 and after effects if it helps), any idea how could I do that?.

Long version with some backstory. Back in 2011 I edited a video where I used livetype extensively, mainly to show some texts (a hospital, for example, with a text that shows how many patients have been treated there) on top of an after effects generated background effect.

This week the client came back and basically wanted to check the video and update all the text with numbers to the updated figures for this year, so I though it would be no problem, I'd just have to look for the project backup, change the numbers and render again. When I was doing that was when I noticed something I hadn't before... I no longer have livetype.

When we first started using FCP where I work the suite did include livetype (don't remember which version), we updated to FCP 7 several years later (which we still use today) but livetype stayed installed until about a year ago when we updated to a new version of OSX and I decided to do it by doing a clean install (of course didn't back up the applications folder) and installed all the software again. I know we have the install disks with its corresponding license and serial number for the previous version of FCP somewhere but after 2 movings since it was installed I don't really know where to even start looking for them.

So now I need to re-create the texts I made in livetype (it's one of the default transitions, letters popping up at random one by one) and make them look close enough to the originals that they won't look out of place with the texts that won't be changed. Any ideas?. I have access to After Effects and Motion, but I've never really used the last one so no idea if it can be done easier there.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Livetype text animation without livetype
on Mar 17, 2015 at 2:57:48 pm

Much of Livetype was ported into Apple Motion. Don't be afraid to try Motion: it is highly intuitive. Create a new project, find the T text tool, draw out a text box in the workspace, then go to the left hand menu choices and select LiveFonts. Chances are, your font and effects for it are in there. To make the text do fun things, go to the icon that looks like a gear, labeled: "add behavior", and try the effects that begin with the word "text".

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Livetype text animation without livetype
on Mar 17, 2015 at 3:43:51 pm

Livetype can be found on your old FCP 6 disc, and you can install it along with FCP 7. Or, at least you used to be able to - I'm not sure how the newer OSs affect it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]