FORUMS: list search recent posts

Relinking to RAW MTS files in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Halsall
Relinking to RAW MTS files in FCP 7
on Mar 16, 2015 at 3:40:00 am

I'm currently out in Korea shooting a documentary. I have been shooting on the Canon C100 and editing in FCP 7. I have been transcoding the files to pro res proxy so that the footage runs smoothly in FCP 7. I was doing this with the intention of relinking the edit to the raw MTS files for the export. However when I try to relink the proxy files to the raw MTS files Final Cut Pro doesn't recognise them. What am I doing wrong? Have I made a massive mistake in thinking that I would simply be able to relink to the raw files for the export. In the past I have used the Canon 5d MK iii and used the same workflow without any problems whatsoever.

I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions or help! Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Relinking to RAW MTS files in FCP 7
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:09:41 am

FCP doesn't work with the raw files. What you need to do is media manage the cut and reimport the footage at a higher resolution, like ProRes 422. Not HQ, that's overkill and the only gains you make are in file size, not quality...as HQ is meant for 10 bit formats, and AVCHD is 8-bit...as is XDCAM.

I have a workflow tutorial on this:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Halsall
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:24:38 am

Ah thanks for your quick response. So do I need to re-transcode everything into Pro Res and then relink to those files instead of the raw files? This will not compromise the image quality or compression of the footage?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:29:02 am

[Matthew Halsall] "So do I need to re-transcode everything into Pro Res and then relink to those files instead of the raw files?"

You didn't watch the tutorial. You use the MEDIA MANAGER on the sequence, using the RECOMPRESS option. Set the new compression to ProRes 422, and give yourself handles of 1-2 seconds. This will make a new sequence with offline media. YOu then BATCH CAPTURE that sequence...it'll re-log and transfer the footage, but at a much higher, full quality, data rate. And ONLY the clips used in the sequence, with handles.

If you re-transcoded everything and then relinked, it'll take you a lot longer, and take up tons of space. Watch the tutorial.

[Matthew Halsall] "This will not compromise the image quality or compression of the footage?"

No. This will bring in the footage at a higher, finishing quality compression. Compressed? Yes, all footage is compressed. Your footage is already Compressed as AVCHD...FCP is transcoding it to a finishing quality compression. SLight loss...nothing you'd notice. This is the way we do things for broadcast quality deliverables.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Matthew Halsall
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:34:39 am

I watched the tutorial however I didn't import my footage using the log and capture setting. Does that make a difference? If I follow the workflow your suggesting it will just recompress the pro res proxy files the project is linked to instead of the raw files, that have in no way been linked to the project I'm working on. As FCP 7 doesn't recognise them.

Pardon my ignorance editing is not my forte. Your help is extremely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:41:59 am

[Matthew Halsall] "I watched the tutorial however I didn't import my footage using the log and capture setting. Does that make a difference?"

Yes. That means that this workflow won't work at all. And you cannot link to the MTS files directly because FCP cannot see those natively. Unlike the DSLR files, that are Quicktime files and seeable by FCP (Stil, FCP doesn't work well with native H.264 files the DSLRs shoot).

And Sorry, I meant MAKE OFFLINE in the Media Manager. Sorry, I've been in Avid land for 2 years. But no, that MAKE OFFLINE won't work either, as the files weren't transcoded by FCP, it cannot track them.

Sorry, but you are in the situation where you need to re-transcode all the clips you used in the sequence...the full clips, and try to reconnect to them. This will take time and hard drive space.

What works for one format doesn't work for all formats. If you plan on an offline/online workflow with FCP, you pretty much always need to use Log and Transfer. if it doesn't work, for example if the cameras used aren't supported by the 4 year old, End of Life FCP 7, then you can't do the offline/online workflow. I know this worked in the past on a differet format, but AVCHD is a different beast, and a difficult one, and a format FCP 7 cannot work with natively. Premiere Pro and FCX can.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:55:04 am

You might be able to do the relink in Resolve or Premiere after transfering the FCP cut via xml.

Same if you are using H264 from a Canon DSLR. FCP doesn't work well with H264. Relinking in Resolve is common and providing you have the same file names & timecode it usually works well. Occasionally there might be the odd manual connect.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: linking to RAW MTS files in FCP 7
on Mar 16, 2015 at 4:24:41 pm

Just wanted to chime in here to let you know that, for many users," Pro Res LT suffices for finishing. I'm not one of those, but many do online using LT.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]