FORUMS: list search recent posts

edit footage from sony FCG-EX 980?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris gorman
edit footage from sony FCG-EX 980?
on Mar 5, 2015 at 5:29:40 pm

Does any here have experience editing footage shot on the Sony FCB-EX 980?

PowerPC G5 DP2.3, 4GB DDR SDRAM, ATI X800XT, OSX.4.11, QT 7.5.5, FCStudio2, FCP 6.0.5 Sonnet 5 Bay SATA (RAID or JBOD as needed), ACD 23" & Sony NTSC Monitor via Matrox v.1
Sony ZIU hdv, edit w.ProRes

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: edit footage from sony FCG-EX 980?
on Mar 5, 2015 at 6:32:38 pm

In googling the camera, and looking at Sony's page...I don't see anything about what media it records to, or what format (XDCAM, AVCHD, ???) What does it record?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:44:04 pm

As we speak, I'm asking the potential client. So far, he said it's a 1080p camera. He's going to shoot a sample clip for me to look at.

PowerPC G5 DP2.3, 4GB DDR SDRAM, ATI X800XT, OSX.4.11, QT 7.5.5, FCStudio2, FCP 6.0.5 Sonnet 5 Bay SATA (RAID or JBOD as needed), ACD 23" & Sony NTSC Monitor via Matrox v.1

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 5, 2015 at 7:58:08 pm

Knowing what format the camera records, and to what medium, is very important to know before you choose to buy it. Will it work with your current editing software? Will you need to get a third party app to convert this footage to work with your software, or will you need to look at alternative choices. Looking at that camera and the specs, it doesn't list any recording file types, or medium that it records to. I wonder if it's a camera without a recording device attached. Meaning they send a signal to one...like an AJA KiPro, Convergent Design box, Ninja recorder or something similar.

FCP has been discontinued for 4 years. The last update to it was a year before that. The chances of it working with new camera tech are slim. Third party converters help with that, for sure.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Mar 5, 2015 at 9:37:42 pm

I agree, but I'm not buying the camera. This is a potential client who will shoot with that camera. I believe it's the cam body hooked up to other stuff. Part of it is an analog interface. All is know at this point about the footage is that it's 1080p. I'll see what kind of sample he gives me.

I've been studying used mac offers. I'm wondering if the one with the below specs would allow me to boot onto one of the 4 drives and run fcp x on it (if I decide to get fcpx), and put my old OS X.4.11 and fcp 6 on the other boot drive to use for older projects.

I can't buy immediately, but hopefully in a couple months or so. See specs below for what I'm thinking would serve my dual purpose. Would it be worth paying $2,119 for a 2009 mack with these specs?
System Configuration:
• Memory:
◦ 32GB (8 x 4GB) PC8500 1066MHz DDR3
• Storage:
◦ 2.0TB Toshiba 7200RPM Hard Drive
◦ 240GB OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD
• Optical Drive:
◦ 18x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• Networking:
◦ Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + Enhanced Data Rate
◦ Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet
◦ 802.11n/b/g Airport Extreme wireless
• Video:
◦ NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics processor
◦ One Mini DisplayPort port
◦ One dual-link DVI port
• Pre-Loaded/Licensed Software:
◦ Pre-loaded with Apple OS X 10.6.8
◦ (Supported by Apple for up to Mac OS X 10.10 'Yosemite')

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 5, 2015 at 10:05:48 pm

[chris gorman] "All is know at this point about the footage is that it's 1080p. I'll see what kind of sample he gives me."

Yeah...that's DARN little information. That's like asking:

"I'd like a shirt. What do you have?"

"We have large shirts."

What kind? Hawaiian? T-Shirts? dress shirts? Wife beaters?

Ask how they are recording, and what the codec is and the like. 1080p is a size...that's it.

And $2100 is a bit steep for a 6 year old computer. For that, I'd pay maybe $800-$1000. I can get a much faster current computer for $2000...current iMac. Yes, I know you are trying to get FCP 6 to work, so you need the older OS. But $2100 is way to much for that computer, IMHO

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Mar 6, 2015 at 2:44:20 am

It probably sounds worse than it is as far as giving minimal info. The way it happened was that I'm now editing his (2nd party) GoPro clips, as described in my other posts. We are in the very early stages and I don't even know yet what kind of working relationship might develop.

He told me that in about 4 months he'll be shooting his own footage using a Sony FCB-EX 980. I don't even know if I'll get the job. But in case he wants me to do some editing for him later, I wanted to scope out what might be required, especially because I'm evaluating when & how to move into a better editing system So, I asked him for info about the Camera, format, etc. etc.that he'll be using in about 4 months. That's when he told me 1080p and that he'd give me a sample. This is all just preliminary at this point.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 6, 2015 at 3:42:19 am

[chris gorman] " So, I asked him for info about the Camera, format, etc. etc.that he'll be using in about 4 months. That's when he told me 1080p"

Well, he'd better start learning to give more information than that. Professional camera people know that when people ask what does the camera shoot, they need to say a lot more than "1080p."

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]