FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro footage, editing in FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris gorman
GoPro footage, editing in FCP 6
on Feb 28, 2015 at 6:55:10 am

I'll be meeting with a prospective client soon who has GoPro footage, possibly from different cameras, different frame rates, etc.
I'm still using FCP 6 for editing. What should I prepare for? Will I need software to convert everything to whatever (?) before importing to fcp? Please comment and give me a "head up" and tips, and advice. Step by step. Thanks

PowerPC G5 DP2.3, 4GB DDR SDRAM, ATI X800XT, OSX.4.11, QT 7.5.5, FCStudio2, FCP 6.0.5 Sonnet 5 Bay SATA (RAID or JBOD as needed), ACD 23" & Sony NTSC Monitor via Matrox v.1
Sony ZIU hdv, edit w.ProRes

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: GoPro footage, editing in FCP 6
on Feb 28, 2015 at 7:50:12 am

[chris gorman] "I'm still using FCP 6 for editing. What should I prepare for?"

Editing. Prepare it for use in FCP 6. FCP 6 only works with specific codecs, and those are found in the Easy Setup. The best one for this version is ProRes 422.

[chris gorman] "Will I need software to convert everything to whatever (?) before importing to fcp?"

This can be done with Compressor, EditReady (divergentmedia.com), MPEG STREAMCLIP.

MPEG STREAMCLIP is free, but has lots of settings...Compressor is also free, and pretty straightforward. Just drop the clip into the drop zone, look for the ProRes 422 for Progressive. If you buy Edit Ready, it too is fairly straight forward...drop the clips into the drop zone, choose ProRes 422, and then click encode.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Mar 1, 2015 at 7:19:10 am
Last Edited By chris gorman on Mar 1, 2015 at 8:00:11 pm

I rewrote this post in a more succinct way - see next post.

PowerPC G5 DP2.3, 4GB DDR SDRAM, ATI X800XT, OSX.4.11, QT 7.5.5, FCStudio2, FCP 6.0.5 Sonnet 5 Bay SATA (RAID or JBOD as needed), ACD 23" & Sony NTSC Monitor via Matrox v.1

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Mar 1, 2015 at 7:40:09 pm

Thank you for the helpful info. I have MPEG Streamclip (no Pro Res 422 settings) and Compressor.

Two of the clips get an error message when I try to open them on my G5, OS X.4.11, They open fine on my mac mini running OS 10.10.2.

So I might try to convert them on my Mac Mini. The version of Compressor on my Tiger system won't run on my mac mini Yosemite, so I was going to download a new version of Compressor. Your post said Compressor was free, but I only see it for $49. Where is it free?

I have 4 clips. When I view the QuickTime Inspector info, two clips are 29.97 fps, Format: h.264, 1920 x 1080.

The other 2 clips: GoPro AVC encoder 59.94 fps, one of them is 1280 x 720 and the other is 1920 x 1080.

These will all need to go onto the same fcp timeline. Now I'm not sure how I should be preparing each so that they can work on the same TL. I guess you can't put 29.97 and 59.94 on the same timeline, right?

For now, I've scaled the :1920 x 1080 down to 1280 x 720 in compressor (pro res 422). I'll put that on the timeline with the other 59.94, 1280 x 720 clip.
Is that a good choice? I don't quite understand the ramifications when I scale down.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 1, 2015 at 11:30:54 pm

[chris gorman] "Thank you for the helpful info. I have MPEG Streamclip (no Pro Res 422 settings) and Compressor. "

it should. If the computer has FCP on it, it should have ProRes. You won't have ProRes as an option unless FCP or Compressor or some Studio app is on the computer.

[chris gorman] "Two of the clips get an error message when I try to open them on my G5, OS X.4.11, They open fine on my mac mini running OS 10.10.2. "

The old OLD operating system might be the issue...but that's just a guess.

[chris gorman] "So I might try to convert them on my Mac Mini. The version of Compressor on my Tiger system won't run on my mac mini Yosemite, so I was going to download a new version of Compressor. Your post said Compressor was free, but I only see it for $49. Where is it free? "

It's free with Final Cut Studio. But the one you have that comes with Studio won't work on Yosemite. If you buy the new one, it'll cost. It's the one that comes with FCP that's free...it's included with FCP.

[chris gorman] "The other 2 clips: GoPro AVC encoder 59.94 fps, one of them is 1280 x 720 and the other is 1920 x 1080. "

Then one was shot 1280x720..the GoPro does shoot that. Change the dimensions to 1920x1080 in Compressor if you want it to match the others.But if it's 1280x720 at 60fps...then leave it at 720p. 1080p60 isn't supported by FCP.

[chris gorman] "I guess you can't put 29.97 and 59.94 on the same timeline, right?"

You can, you'll just need to render later. The 59.94 will render out to be 29.97. If you want it to be smooth slow motion, you'll need to conform with Cinema Tools after you convert it to ProRes.

[chris gorman] "For now, I've scaled the :1920 x 1080 down to 1280 x 720 in compressor (pro res 422). I'll put that on the timeline with the other 59.94, 1280 x 720 clip.
Is that a good choice? "

That works too. Just know that the frame rate will still be 30fps, and won't be as smooth motion as the 60fps. But if you want smooth slow motion, you need to edit the 60fps on a 30fps timeline, and conform the clips.

But yeah...a G5 is a very under powered machine...and it takes FOREVER to convert to ProRes. Intel macs are better.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Mar 2, 2015 at 1:35:52 am
Last Edited By chris gorman on Mar 2, 2015 at 1:39:07 am

Thank you. For clarification. I meant that I don't see a ProRes option in MPEG Streamclip.

Because I have FCP Studio 2, I am using Compressor, which does have ProRes 422. It converted the first 2 clips, but can't open the other 2 on my old G5.

When I could not open 2 of the clips on my old G5 with FCP Studio, I thought I might try converting some stuff on my new Mac Mini running 10.10.2 I was contemplating getting a new stand alone compressor to run on my mac mini. Later, I'd have to take the converted ProRes files back over to my old G5 for editing.

Important! For this project, good smooth slo mo while maintaining best detail resolution is critical. The finished footage is destined for web video and, I think, for power point presentations to live audiences. The final length might only be 3 - 5 mins. per finished clip.

With these frame rates and sizes I want to do whatever is needed to get the best image with smooth slo mo. The raw UAV video footage is a little shaky.

If 1080p not supported in fcp, what editing system does support 1080p?

I just dug Cinema tools out of the cobwebs. I don't know how to use it, but if it's something I can learn quickly, I'll use it. Are there steps you can tell me, or is it too complicated to post?

On the fcp TL, when I render/conform, is that an alternative to using Cinema Tools?

Should I expect that the other 2 clips, the 29.97 ones, will be less smooth in slo mo than the 60fps conformed to 29.97?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:39:04 am

A G5 is getting long in the tooth...not sure why it can't open the QT files. But encoding on a G5 does take a while. So yeah, best to get Compressor 4 for the Mini.

[chris gorman] "For this project, good smooth slo mo while maintaining best detail resolution is critical. The finished footage is destined for web video and, I think, for power point presentations to live audiences."

Then convert the footage to 1080p60...then use Cinema Tools to conform the clips to 29.97fps, or 23.98...depending on the frame rate of the other footage you shot. That'll make it smooth.

[chris gorman] "If 1080p not supported in fcp, what editing system does support 1080p?"

NO...it does support 1080p..1080p 23.98 and 1080p 29.97...it's 1080p60 that is a non-standard delivery codec. It's a shooting format for smooth slow motion, but not really a delivery format yet. And it does take a very fast hard drive RAID to play it back...1080p60 ProRes, that is. But if you conform it, it'll be easier.

[chris gorman] "I just dug Cinema tools out of the cobwebs. I don't know how to use it, but if it's something I can learn quickly, I'll use it. Are there steps you can tell me, or is it too complicated to post? "

Open it. Cancel when it asks if you want to create a database. Then go FILE>OPEN...navigate to the 1080p60 file. In the lower right hand of the window is a CONFORM button...click that. Choose the frame rate you want and click CONFORM. Done. It'll be instant...and it modifies the clip, so if you want a version to play normal speed, then duplicate the clip first.

[chris gorman] "Should I expect that the other 2 clips, the 29.97 ones, will be less smooth in slo mo than the 60fps conformed to 29.97?"

Yes. Slowing 29.97 footage 50% basically keeps it 29.97fps...so every frame is repeated. Where if you take 60fps, slow it down 50%...that's 29.97fps...no repeated frames. Smooth.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

chris gorman
on Mar 2, 2015 at 2:39:26 pm

Thank you. That helps. I didn't shoot the footage, it's actually passed on 3rd hand. I haven't shot with the GoPro, so I'm not used to dealing with this. I really appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]