FORUMS: list search recent posts

static clip with piece of dirt in shot

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Tannenbaum
static clip with piece of dirt in shot
on Feb 27, 2015 at 3:05:23 pm

I have a short static clip of a black stovetop which wasn't cleaned thoroughly enough. There are two very small but noticable light gray spots. The camera was locked down. Is there an inexpensive way to remove them? Thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: static clip with piece of dirt in shot
on Feb 27, 2015 at 3:58:47 pm

Import a still into photoshop, fix it there, bring the still back to Final Cut, use your crop or masking tools to "patch" over the spots.

Or, duplicate the same video, lay it on a track above the original, but then move it over to the left or right by a few pixels. Use a soft-edged wipe or mask/crop to cover the bad pixels with nearby good pixels.

There's also a plug-in for this by DigitalHeaven.

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 27, 2015 at 4:01:00 pm

Thanks! Appreciate the information. Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 27, 2015 at 9:23:33 pm

Hi....still have a question. I exported a frame from the clip, brought it into photoshop, removed the unnecessary spots and saved it as a PNG, keeping the background transparent. Importing into FCP again I placed it on top of the existing clip BUT the transparent area of the still appears WHITE. Is the a way to erase that section or was the transparency lost during the importing process?

Thanks again! Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 27, 2015 at 9:40:09 pm

Why are you layering on top of the still in FCP? No...the idea is to do all the retouching of that still in Photoshop, and replace completely what you have in FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 27, 2015 at 9:55:56 pm

Shane, thanks. Not sure I'm being clear. I didn't (as you appear to think) layer "on top of the still in FCP". I imported a photoshop PNG file which (I thought) I was supposed to put on top of the clip...so that the clip would run "under" where I retouched out those nasty dirt flecks. I hasted to say I experimented with the Luma Key which seems to do the trick EXCEPT the whole clip looks washed out.

Needless to say, in photoshop, all I'd do is erase the part of the top layer to reveal the clip below but I see no means to do that here. Look, I know this is a cakewalk for those who use it all the time. For me, it's an exercise and if I can get it I may reshoot the video to get it right. Too bad, it looks aged otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:40:45 pm

Export what you have in FCP as a still...since it is a static shot. Bring that into Photoshop and retouch it. bring the result into FCP and replace the clip with the new, retouched one.

Now, if this locked off clip has movement in it and you don't want to compromise that...don't want it to look like a still. Then layer the retouched still over that shot, and garbage, matte out everything BUT the areas you retouched.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 27, 2015 at 10:48:23 pm

I did just that, exported a frame, opened it in PS for the retouching. Going back importing to FCP, the area I needed the transparency for is too sloppy.
The shot is of a black sauce pan with boiling water. It's just the water I need to show through the top track which has the retouched image. In creating the
retouched PNG, the edge (water next to black pan) is too hard. I think the "problem" is that I'm not familiar enough with the soft-touch tools in FCP to properly feather it. But I've got time so I'll work on it. Thanks for the advice.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2015 at 4:43:48 am

Ken, when you make the patch or band-aid in photoshop, you need to export it with an alpha channel, so, under the export dialogue, try the animation codec and/or export as a .tga file, and set the bit depth to 32-bit. Your alpha channel info "lives" in those extra bits beyond the ones describing the colors. I don't tend to use .png, maybe because I'm old and set in my ways, but my understanding of .png is that it's inferior to targa or tif and .targa of tif files contain a bit more information, so will give smoother detail.

It would help me advise you, if you could post a still or a 2-second clip of the shot.

Since there is some action going on in the shot, perhaps you'd do better, using the second trick I laid out: that is, layering a duplicate of the video track right above the main track, adjusting it over to one side by a few pixels, just enough to get past the stain and into clean material that matches, and using the masking tools to cut away everything in that layer but the patch. Since you have two spots to cover, you'll have to do this twice, or do it with three layers in one pass. In the motion tab, you'll see crop tools, and also a "feathering" control. Adjust the feathering to help blend between the tracks.

If you need more than a 4 or 8-point masking tool, you can still find them in free versions of 16 and 32-point, maybe even 64-point, using a google search or a keyword search of the COW for "Paul Crisp" and "multipoint masking tool". Every FCP7 owner should own Paul's masking tools.

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 28, 2015 at 1:27:18 pm

This is just shy of embarrassing. See, I'm over it already. This is for a stock video clip, something I enjoy and added to my stills work a few years ago. But I'm obviously learning. I actually thought I might reshoot this thing or submit it as is but the fix is simple I'm sure, so why not learn it. After you look at the potentially award winning two second clip, let me know of a good shrink somewhere in NYC. Truly appreciate the advice. I've been handing out advice on Photoshop and photography for a very long time and enjoy it. Apparently you do too.

Here's a link:

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2015 at 8:14:06 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Feb 28, 2015 at 10:29:35 pm

Did this in ten minutes:

video result link to follow

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:15:38 pm

Here's the clip, corrected:

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:31:26 pm

Couple of things. The tools aren't 2nd nature to me so forgive the questions. So, did you duplicate the track and make these changes to the top track, then combine the tracks to get this? Either way, whatever you did, based on what you sent (thanks very much) I'll do the same here and see how things unfold.
BTW, did you send two of the same thing motion dialog box in error or for some mysterious purpose I have to figure out?

Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:43:23 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:44:30 pm

I actually had three tracks, which is why you see two examples, slightly different, of the cropped pixels being moved over. Yes, I did it exactly the way I already described it. Duplicate the track above the base layer, pick a clean spot just to one side of the dirty spot, use the crop tools to define the "patch" area, then move the patch over by about 16 or so pixels to the left or right of the stain. To make it easier to see what I was doing, I employed the 3-way color corrector to deliberately brighten my "patch" layer a bit, to make it easier to see while positioning it. Then, I just turned that filter off for the final output. You could also, alternately, turn off the lower layer, or temporarily reduce it's opacity - whatever you choose, to just temporarily make the two elements a bit more in contrast so you can see the positioning.

You can do this. Try playing with it as layers in photoshop, if it helps you visualize the process. The only difference really is that we're using motion video.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:47:32 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:50:06 pm

I see I accidentally posted two screen shots of the same window, but all you need to know is, the coordinates of the crop area will be a little different for each iteration.

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:53:20 pm

Mark, I don't have the time to deal with this until tomorrow morning but you have been clear and enormously helpful. This is advice that makes other things in FCP begin to make sense as well. I use layers, and adjustment masks all the time in photoshop but I also use the eraser tool which apparently doesn't exist in FCP.
Rather it's shifting the tracks that gets it done.

Not that it's relevant, but here's what I do: Http://kentannenbaum.com

One thing I'm a bit confused about it that the two MOTION DIALOG BOXES your attached have identical settings. I thought each of the spots would have required it's own parameters.

Where is my thinking wrong?

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 1, 2015 at 3:38:57 am

You weren't wrong; like I posted earlier, I accidentally screen grabbed the same window twice; the settings would not be identical, because the second spot was in a different location. Your eye for detail caught my error before I did. I would have re-posted the right screen grqb, but I didn't bother to save anything from the project after I got the repaired output footage you've seen, so I can't go back and post the right shot. Anyway, I've shown you how to do it, you CAN do it, practice on a short clip until you get it right, and you'll feel more accomplished and confident to try harder fixes later.

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Mar 1, 2015 at 2:58:00 pm

Well stated. If I have a further problem, I'll give you a shout. Meanwhile, stay tuned but don't read too much news...it's wreaks havoc on the psyche,

Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Mar 2, 2015 at 5:25:29 pm

Mark, so you know your suggestions were taken to heart (and keyboard) all's right with this now. It's done and looks good.

Thanks again, Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 4, 2015 at 1:45:26 am

https://reels.creativecow.net/film/boil-that-dust-speck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]