FORUMS: list search recent posts

clip names corrupted in timeline & browser FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Pepper
clip names corrupted in timeline & browser FCP 7
on Feb 25, 2015 at 5:18:54 am

Working in a huge project with many timelines. Suddenly, today, clips are showing up both in timeline and browser with the names of other clips within the project. OR they keep their names but their CONTENT is that of other clips. These were updated and media reconnected, initially. And it all worked fine. But now it's truly a mess. Is there some way to un-corrupt this project? Clean it up? I'm perfectly willing to break it up into small projects again, but Don't want to lose many many changes I've made over the last few weeks.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: clip names corrupted in timeline & browser FCP 7
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:57:34 am

Are you editing h.264 or MP4 files in your timeline?

If no to the question above, have you tried trashing preferences?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:33:44 pm

Thought of trashing prefs. Didn't. Will try. H264

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 25, 2015 at 7:50:13 pm

Hi Laurie! You're not be happy with this, but your issue is unfortunately due to the fact that you're editing h.264 in FCP 7, which unfortunately is not capable of dealing with it properly.

For the record, h.264 and all of the other MPEG variants such as MP4, MPEG 2, etc. are not really supported. There are a zillion posts here on the subject, and it's why I asked that first. Yes, you can seemingly work with those codecs, but then all kinds of issues quickly rise to the surface, just as you've noticed.

The only good way of editing those codecs is to transcode the material to a codec designed for editing such as Pro Res, etc. before editing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Feb 25, 2015 at 8:12:00 pm

Ohhh, dear. Actually clips are hodgepodge of codecs: animation, ntsc, etc. etc. ANY suggestions for a way to batch modify literally hundreds of clips?????? I've never had this problem before but I've never had such a HUGE project put together and reassembled from so many sources. I think my first task is to dis-assemble the project back into its parts.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 25, 2015 at 11:36:36 pm

How do you feel about renting editing software that you'd have to learn how to use?
Adobe Premiere Pro can deal with that mish-mosh you have.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2015 at 12:49:18 am

FCP only works with very specific formats...and those formats are what you see listed in the EASY SETUP list. If the media files you have aren't listed, you need to convert them, preferrably before you edit. This is done with Compressor or MPEG STREAMCLIP.

As mentioned, the only NLE that works with those files as they are is Adobe Premiere Pro. FCX would look at them and want to "optimize" them, meaning it would automatically detect that they are not optimal for editing, and would convert them to FCP codecs in the background.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Feb 26, 2015 at 1:46:32 am

I'm using FCP7. That's different, right?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:24:03 am

[Laurie Pepper] "I'm using FCP7. That's different, right?"

Yes...that's different from FCX. That's FCP-X (10). FCP 7 requires all the footage to be in a supported codec, and you need to convert it before you bring it in. FCX will convert after you bring it in.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Feb 26, 2015 at 5:23:30 am

Thanks much!

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Feb 26, 2015 at 1:45:36 am

I have premiere but I tried it and I don't have time to learn it right now. I've got a bunch of stuff due end of Marc & FCP 7 is an old friend. No problems until latest wdireness & I think that's cause when I was reconnecting the wrong clips.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:26:26 am

Well, now you need to convert all the footage to ProRes or some SD codec (like DV or DV50 or ProRes NTSC) and try to relink. You've painted yourself into a bad corner. I wouldn't say use Premiere on this one now...but in the future. Although...if you export an XML of the entire project, you can import that into PPro and it should relink fine. PPro isn't all that different than FCP when it comes to editing.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Feb 26, 2015 at 1:42:19 am

But WAIT. I'm using FCP 7. I thought I'd put that in the headline.... Doesn't FCP7 accept a variety of codecs?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 26, 2015 at 3:29:32 am

[Laurie Pepper] "Doesn't FCP7 accept a variety of codecs?"

Yes...but ONLY the ones you see in the Easy Setup list. Not just any old codec you happen to throw at it. That's the realm of Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]