FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Doesn't Like Working from a NAS?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ernesto Santora-Zahn
FCP 7 Doesn't Like Working from a NAS?
on Feb 23, 2015 at 1:50:54 am

All my project assets along with the .fcp files sit on my Synology NAS. Recently, I tried opening a project and found that it wouldn't open. The dialog box would show up then it'd say "wrong file type" and it would seem the project was lost.

I'd realize everything was fine when I go and open the last Autosave version but eventually that one would run into the same issue. I figured maybe that project had a corrupt piece media in it. But then it started to happen to all my projects.

I found this solution:

1) Control click on your FCP project file (right click) and select "Open With"
2) Open with TextEdit
3) Select "File/Save As..."
4) Save as another file name with the .txt extension
5) Find your newly created file and change extension to .fcp (may need to go to Finder/Preferences/Advanced tab and select "Show All Extensions" to get file extensions to appear)
6) FCP should work with it now.

And everything works fine. But I have to do that every time I have the issue and the issue shows up all the time.

Does FCP 7 not like NAS systems or maybe just this one?

Should I just keep the project files saved locally and have the assets on the NAS in order avoid this issue or is something else going on?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP 7 Doesn't Like Working from a NAS?
on Feb 23, 2015 at 3:42:51 am

Standard configuration is to have the project file on your system drive and media on an external. Your NAS will need to have pretty fast ethernet to keep up with the data rate of a lot of HD codecs.

Return to posts index

Ernesto Santora-Zahn
Re: FCP 7 Doesn't Like Working from a NAS?
on Feb 23, 2015 at 3:46:07 am

Thanks for the response.

It doesn't have a problem with the codecs. I can edit RAW from it without any issues. It's on a gigbit switch. It's really fast. My question is if the project file is not supposed to be there and if that is causing my issue, which is occurring with some consistency now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]