FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Capture device with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Fielding
Video Capture device with FCP
on Feb 21, 2015 at 3:00:23 pm

Hi guys. Need some help.

I'm looking to get a video capture device. But I only have a budget of £100-£150. This is one I have found.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pc-accessories/pc-gaming-accessories/other-ga...

Now I'm using Final Cut Pro from Final Cut Studio 2. Can this be picked up by Final Cut Pro? As in via the capture option? Does the H.264 codec allow for the footage is captures with its own software allow FCP to place it on the timeline without having to 'render'?

If this does the trick, let me know please.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video Capture device with FCP
on Feb 21, 2015 at 6:05:28 pm

Sorry, that doesn't work directly with FCP. And FCP doesn't work with the h264 codec. That needs to be converted to ProRes first. The devices that work with FCP are made by AJA.com, decklink.com and matrox.com.

The cheapest is the Decklink Intensity, but it requires a Mac Pro tower. There's also the Decklink Ultrastudio Mini that is Thunderbolt based.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tony Fielding
on Feb 22, 2015 at 9:29:25 pm

Cheers for the feedback

So would this be an acceptable device to use:

Blackmagie Design Ultrastudio Mini Recorder Compact SDI and HDMI capture? (price £99-£120)

Or this:

Ultrastudio express (price £335)

I'm on a tight budget currently and only have the Macbook pro (2009). Will either device be acceptable?

Cheers.

Tony Fielding

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 22, 2015 at 10:09:50 pm

Sorry, neither of those will work with your computer. It doesn't have a thunderbolt Port, only a monitor port. It does, however, have an Express34 slot....and two options do work for that. But they aren't currently offered models, and they are over your budget.

The AJA Io Express is $999 and the Matrox MXO2 Mini is $499. YOu can try to find them used online, and you need to make sure you get ones with the Express34 connector.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tony Fielding
on Feb 22, 2015 at 10:34:52 pm

Well it looks like I'll be trying to get some major money in if I intend to get the equipment I need.

I appreciate the time you've given in responding.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Tony Fielding

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]