FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to fix an over exposed interview in FCP 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Mal
How to fix an over exposed interview in FCP 7?
on Feb 20, 2015 at 9:07:11 pm

Hi - I've got an issue with an interview I shot. It looks terrible - I knew something was wrong when I was doing it but felt time-pressured and just cracked on hoping it would be ok. I've attached a screen grab. I swear I did focus on the person - I focussed from her eyes and pulled out but it still looks soft on her and the leaves look very sharp. It's not helped by the fact it looks over exposed on her face which makes it look soft too. Also the white balance is terrible, even though I did a white balance with her holding a white piece of paper under her chin. I have no idea why it turned out so badly. None of my other footage looks like this..

Anyway - I'm trying to find a way of fixing it to the best that can be done by myself as there is no chance of a re-shoot. I've been trying to download the Captain Blowout plugin but in Final Cut 7.0 it says File Error: Wrong Type. every time I try to put it into FCP.

If anyone has any tips on how I can make this look not so bad, so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb with the rest of my nicely exposed, pin sharp, white-balanced rushes, I would be very grateful. I'm only going to use a small part of the interview and then cutaway as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to fix an over exposed interview in FCP 7?
on Feb 21, 2015 at 1:14:52 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 21, 2015 at 1:16:59 am

It's not THAT bad. I've seen far worse.

If you're not in the mood to pay for a plugin -- and you're not a big fan of Apple Color, which you should have -- you might want to check out Color Finesse, which comes with After Effects.

I bet it can resurrect a bit more detail in the hot areas, which would be the big concern... not to mention color correction.

There's a Panasonic HVX 200 in my shop that does the same dumb thing when the image is a little overexposed -- it thinks eveything should go a litle bit yellow. I've has to save more than one shot taken with it.

Oooh, I just realized this is the FCP forum, and not the AE forum. Well, there's always FCP's 3-way color corrector.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 21, 2015 at 5:56:49 am
Last Edited By Nick Meyers on Feb 21, 2015 at 5:57:30 am

Hi, Lucy.

you don't put the plug-in INTO FCP

put it in SYstem Drive > Library >App Support> Final Cut Pro System Support > Plug-Ins.
you'll need to re-start FCP

as Dave said, it;s not the worst case of over-exposure. that would be next to impossible to address,
i think the Blow-out filter might work for you on this.
fingers crossed.

nick

Return to posts index

Lucy Mal
on Feb 21, 2015 at 9:29:34 am

Hi Dave and NIck

Thanks for replying. I've got Capt Blowout into Final cut pro and, although I need more tweaking, it has definitely helped.

The face also looks a bit soft - are there sharpening tool that can be used just on one area (the leaves don't need sharpening any more!) so I can adjust the face a bit more. Total newbie to any sort of colour correction. I'm thinking I might grade the whole short film as one clip being doctored might make the others look odd?

Thanks again for helping me.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 23, 2015 at 3:15:09 am

"I'm thinking I might grade the whole short film as one clip being doctored might make the others look odd?"

not necessarily, but often, yes, once you start grading you see how it improves things and you feel compelled top do the lot.

"are there sharpening tool that can be used just on one area"

no specific zone-sharpening filter that i know of.
there are zone-softening filters. they generally define a simple area with a round shape you can control.

of course you CAN do zone sharpening in FCP with a couple of tools combined.

1- stack 2 copies of the clip (Option+Shift Drag the video up to a second track)
2- apply a mask-shape of garbage matte (8-point might do the trick) to the top clip, to define the area you want to affect (or leave un-affected, it can work wither way with the "invert" button)
3- apply a sharpening filter. weirdly the "un-sharp mask" is the best for subtle work

sharpening is tricky- it can look really awful.
if part of the problem is that the bg looks more in focus than hte fg,
then i will sometime soften off the bg as well as adding a touch of sharpening to the fg.
smoke and mirrors!

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 23, 2015 at 7:54:11 pm

What Nick suggests is what I would do. There IS a sharpening filter in the effects that come with FCP7. You just have to be very careful to not over-use it.

Step one would be to generate the mask. Two ways to do this: if the subject holds VERY still, just export a frame to photoshop and trace it to make a black and white or alpha channel mask.

Duplicate the tracks, give the background track a little gaussian blur, the subject track, with mask, a wee bit of sharpen.

Another way to add *apparent* sharpness in post would involve copying out a grayscale version of the subject, adjusted for maximum contrast, and mixing it into the original, using blending modes and opacity adjustments. Detail is mostly in the luminance and/or "green" channel, so an extra copy of the green channel, turned into grayscale, then mixed in, can trick the eye into thinking it is seeing more detail and thus sharpness.

Return to posts index

Lucy Mal
on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:59:24 pm

Thanks for replying Mark. My subject moves around too much I think. I've never used photoshop so think this might be a bit beyond me. How do you copy a grayscale version of the subject? You might have to talk me through this if you have the time.

Meanwhile, I'm going off to learn about grading as I think that's the first thing I need to do before attempting capn blowout and sharpening.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Lucy Mal
on Feb 23, 2015 at 9:56:05 pm

Hi Nick -thanks for the advice. I will attempt a bit of sharpening - feel I might get a bit lost as I've never done anything that complicated in FCP7. If you don't mind - can I get back to you with any issues? I want to tidy the shot up as much as I can as although it's not terrible it looks out of place amongst I mostly ok shot film.

I'll be back!

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 6, 2015 at 1:57:25 pm

You don't know Photoshop? Unpossible in the 21st century, maybe you mean you use a paint program other than?

Anyhow, here are two screen grabs from a quick mess-about on the timeline, doing what I said.

The main technique was to duplicate the track on a second timeline, select the 3-way color corrector, take away the chroma, put the display in visual mode with three color wheels/balls, then push the mid-tones all the way towards the green part of their circle. This made a sharp B&W version of the track. You then mix this into the first track by changing the blending mode of the top track to something like multiply or soft light (Modify> Composite modes> experiment with what you find).
Now adjust the amount of opacity of the top layer to taste.

For extra zazz, I use a free Paul Crisp 16-point masking tool to mask around her body and head, then used a Gaussian blur to knock down the noisy leaves.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 6, 2015 at 2:31:38 pm

Before:

After:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]