FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to tell what frame rate and frame size a DVD video is

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
how to tell what frame rate and frame size a DVD video is
on Feb 20, 2015 at 5:21:11 am

Hi,
My source media is a DVD of a music video that was burned 10 years ago. I am using MPEG Streamclip to rip it and then export it in Apple Prores422 for FCP7 editing.
All i know for sure is that the video is 16:9 anamorphic. But i'm not sure what the frame rate is. Is there a way to tell? Also, I don't know what the exact frame size is and whether it is HD. I know this video was professionally done in the best digital format ten years ago but I don't know the specs.
Also, how would i know if it's progressive or interlaced or if it needs deinterlacing or gamma correction in the mpeg streamclip export settings?
Please help, thanks

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: how to tell what frame rate and frame size a DVD video is
on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:13:09 pm

Most likely it is

720x480
29.97fps
interlaced
not HD

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:26:25 pm

When you bring it into FCP, if you look at the various columns in the BROWSER, scrolling right...you'll see.

And yes, DVDs aren't HD. BluRay is...regular DVD is not.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 20, 2015 at 5:13:15 pm

If you download "Mediainfo", very useful little app. Install and run it, then navigate to your DVD and highlight one of the VOB files. It will tell you everything about the file, frame rate, size, etc, etc. It's on the App store for a small price but if you look around you can find a free download. Works with all kinds of media.

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Feb 21, 2015 at 5:33:08 am

Hey thanks!

Roger, i used mediainfo and it says my DVD video is 720x480, 29.97, mpeg NTSC, text: RLE.....just like BARTA and SHANE also had said.

On the DVD the video is squashed horizontally, so when I import it into MPEG streamclip i am going to convert it to 16:9 anamorphic since that is what the original video was in before it went to DVD. Also, I believe the original framrate may have been 24 before it went to DVD. So perhaps i should convert to 24? However, i am not totally sure if it really was 24fps so perhaps i should just leave it at 29.97fps.

Also, what should i export this as on mpeg streamclip for it to be compatible with FCP7? I will be editing this video on FCP7. Should i transcode to Quicktime? or to DV? or to apple prores? should field dominance be upper or lower? should i select "deinterlace video"? (I did notice that the horizonal interlace lines were visible somewhat when there's a lot of motion on the screen).

Please let me know,
thanks

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 21, 2015 at 3:40:58 pm

As the video has been compressed to mpeg2 I would think that upping it to a higher codec than I was originally would not show any improvement so I would stick with DV or DVCPro, both of which have lower/even field dominance. I would edit it in its original format and then if you have access to some good upscaling software do that afterwards. QuickTime doesn't handle anamorphic properly but you might find that it displays fine in FCP. However, if the distortion has been burned in and still looks squished you can do a horizontal distort of 33% in the edit to make it display correctly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]