FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a complete exported file from a playlist

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurence Lancit
Creating a complete exported file from a playlist
on Feb 18, 2015 at 4:29:55 pm

is it possible to import a playlist of videos in mp4 format, and then export it from FCP7 as one complete file? I have a program that creates playlists of videos, but no way to make the playlist one complete file. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Creating a complete exported file from a playlist
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:32:27 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:35:51 pm

Here are the suggestions if you want to use FCP7 for this:
  • Forget the playlist; it's absolutely useless in FCP7
  • Transcode the mp4's to ProRes 422 for use in FCP 7, which is darned near 5 years old now, hasn't been supported by Apple for 4 of those 5 years, and can't cope with mp4's
  • Import the transcoded video files, put them in the desired order in an FCP timeline, and export as a self-contained ProRes 422 movie.
  • Use Compressor to transcode the file for final delivery

If you want something a bit more automatic, you'll need a different piece of software than the very-long-in-the-tooth FCP7.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Laurence Lancit
on Feb 18, 2015 at 5:42:54 pm

Thanks Dave. I know that FCP 7 is long in the tooth, but I really don't care for FCPX.....unless FCPX can do the timeline thing. I get how to create a complete file exported from a timeline, but my situation is slightly different. I already have the original videos as .movs in my system. I convert them to mp4s to upload to a server which creates the playlist. I am trying to avoid having to re-edit the timeline every time I make a change in the playlist on the server. We are working to export a complete file from the server, but I thought I would see if anyone has a method to accomplish this directly from FCP.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:19:12 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:20:40 pm

Isn't that something that can be accomplished at the other end, instead of in an editing application?

Can't these videos be uploaded individually, then the playsist modified? It seems like it would be a lot less hassle on your part... after the initial uploads, of course.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Laurence Lancit
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:31:10 pm

Yes, it is, but we have to write new or additional software for the server to be able to do it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 18, 2015 at 6:44:54 pm

Okay, then I guess it comes down to taking the time to re-write some code, or taking the time to constantly revise an edit.

I don't know which would be more efficient in the long run, but it sounds like you'd do the software rewrite ONCE, but you'd do the editing over and over again.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]