FORUMS: list search recent posts

Conforming Movie, FCP 7, Matrox, HDW D1800 HDCAM, Reference Problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harrington
Conforming Movie, FCP 7, Matrox, HDW D1800 HDCAM, Reference Problem
on Feb 13, 2015 at 11:19:10 pm

I'm conforming 2 features shot in HD several years ago and edited in DVCAM, now its time to conform to HD. I have a rented Sony HDW D-1800 for the weekend and setting it up with my FCP7, Matrox MXO2 MAX with a BlackMagic Mini Converter Sync Generator.

I'm controlling the VTR and seeing good image on my External HD Monitor but apparently no good reference indicated by what I see on the FCP Capture window and the decks stop light is flashing which indicates no reference signal despite having it hooked up to Sync Generator. I have not used this Sync Gen in a few years although the light comes on when I plug it in.

I dont think I really need a Sync Generator since I'm using just 1 VTR? Seems like I should be able to set the VTR to internal Sync and be good to go, I can't seem to find the menu to set to Internal Ref?

Any thoughts, trouble shooting or work around solutions are appreciated?

BTW, Matrox is Firmware 36.10 Software Version 2.6.1.0001

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Conforming Movie, FCP 7, Matrox, HDW D1800 HDCAM, Reference Problem
on Feb 13, 2015 at 11:53:47 pm

Let me ask a dumb question: did you check for an internal/external sync switch?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 14, 2015 at 12:09:26 am

Yes, the first thing I looked for was switch, like the one on my ol' BVW70. I'll admit I don't have much experience with HDCAM decks although I've been setting up decks since 1974, 1inch B&W, the first Sony 3/4", Quad, 1inch, M2, Beta, D-2, Digi Beta. I'm not an engineer but I understand more than just the basics.

I managed to get Matrox and the HDCAM to recognize BlackMagic Sync Gen, HD Monitor displays good signal, HDCAM deck stop light and SDI Menu setting does not flash and thought problem solved.

Now when I launch FCP Capture Window it displays as if it's not Sync Ref, picture squeezed and display in top half screen with bottom half glitchy black/green.

Sometimes I miss editing tape with a magnifying glass and razor blade.

Michael Harrington
Mac Pro, Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz, 12 GB, FCP7, Mavrick, ATI Radeon HD 4870, 30-inch Cine Display, 4 - 1TB internal, G Speed 6TB Raid 5, 1.25TB Esata, Numerous FW 800 external drives, Matrox MX02Max, FSI 17" Broadcast Monitor, Black Magic Mini Sync Generator, Mackie 1402 & Event 20/20 monitors.

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 14, 2015 at 12:17:05 am

I just noticed that when I go into capture mode the HDCAM deck SDI flashes and the Stop button does not. Perhaps its a HDCAM deck SDI settings thing.

I've noticed the HDCAM deck allows for 23.98PsF only, while FCP/Matrox settings only allow Matrox Apple ProRes 1080P 23.98, I assume this is all good, right?

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 14, 2015 at 12:17:05 am

Yeah, and don't forget use the fluid that shows you where the headwheel scanned, or you'll make a bad cut.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Harrington
on Feb 14, 2015 at 1:42:24 am

Yep, the fluid helped with manual edits. I also remember when the speed of a credit roll depended on how fast you cranked the handle on the graphics drum. White rub down letters on black cardboard mounted on a round drum with a black & white camera with reverse polarity to change key from white or black.

I have everything under control now. After getting my Sync Gen set up properly, the damned dip switch diagram is not exactly easy to read and was set up exactly opposite of correctness. Then getting VTR output 23.98 PsF to match Matrox/FCP Capture settings 23.98 PsF everything is working, or at least I think it is. I'll start capture tomorrow.

Michael Harrington

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:17:32 pm

EdiVue! I haven't thought about that stuff for years.

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]