FORUMS: list search recent posts

archival footage shot on mini dv wanting to in log and capture with sony pd150 on a macbook pro using final cut pro 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karin Hazé
archival footage shot on mini dv wanting to in log and capture with sony pd150 on a macbook pro using final cut pro 7
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:17:43 am

Hi, I have archival footage shot on mini dv 1ccd, 3ccd and hdv which I want to transfer. I have a macbook pro, a Firewire 400/800, Final Cut Pro 7. How do I make this work?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: archival footage shot on mini dv wanting to in log and capture with sony pd150 on a macbook pro using final cut pro 7
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:34:06 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:44:11 pm

You should read the online manual for more detail, but you connect the camera to your computer via the firewire cable, then in the final cut menus, go to New> Project, and follow that dialog. Then go to File>Log and Capture. Set your clip and capture settings, assign a hard drive space for the "scratch drive" that will contain your AV files, (do not use the boot drive for AV files scratch drive, it really needs to be a separate drive) then use the tape transport controls on screen to play the tapes and hit the "Capture Now" button. When you're done with a particular capture, hit the ESCAPE key.
Close the log and capture window, and the captured footage will be in your bin. Drag the first clip to the timeline, and if a warning comes up asking if you want the timeline format to conform to the original footage format, say YES.

Then go log and capture the rest of your footage.

The number of CCD's in the camcorder is irrelevant; what you need to keep consistent is the CODEC, i.e., the format of video compression. If all the sources are DV footage, then work in DV. IF they are HDV, work in HDV. If you have a mix of types of codec, like some is HDV and some is DV, decide which format to master in, and use a tool like Apple Compressor or the free MPEG Streamclip to convert the other footage so everything is in the same codec. FCP7 does not like to work with mixed codecs and you will take quite a performance hit.

If you master in HDV with a screen ratio of 16 by 9, and the DV footage isn't anamorphic wide screen, but old squarish 4x3 screen dimensions, you'll end up having to scale up the DV footage or otherwise put it in a frame or something, to more neatly match against the HD wide screen stuff. Alternately, if the timeline is a DV 4x3, then you have option on the HDV footage to shrink it down, or artificially re-frame and crop it to match the DV stuff. This decision will depend on which footage is most important and which type you have the most of.

Getting the laptop and FCP7 to recognize the camcorder can be a bit of a trial. Sometimes it depends on the order of which thing is turned on or connected to first, or if you connect while powered on or off. You may need to try it multiple times, multiple ways, until you get the right combination. The particular camcorder may also have a switch or menu choice that makes it act like a deck instead of a camera; this may be called "playback" mode or something like that.

Return to posts index

Karin Hazé
Re: archival footage shot on mini dv wanting to in log and capture with sony pd150 on a macbook pro using final cut pro 7
on Feb 11, 2015 at 5:18:38 pm

Hi Mark, Thanks for your suggestion, however the problem is that it's not recognizing the deck, which is a pd150, when I try to set in in A/V settings. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 11, 2015 at 6:19:56 pm

First, put the camera on AC power.

Second, get out the camera's manual, a free PDF can be downloaded from a google search.

Look at page 24 and pages 70 thru 78; there's a detailed procedure there
Like I said, it's a try-and try-again deal to get the camera recognized as a deck. You might set the log and capture choices to: "generic cpture template" and "Uncontrolled device", which means you have to manually operate the tape transport controls on the camera itsel to shuttle and play... but first, try the DV preset in the capture template and the timeline sequence settings. Look under "easy setup".

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Feb 11, 2015 at 8:08:37 pm

Mark is correct, you have to follow the correct procedure. Your computer can be on but FCP cannot be running during connection. FCP grabs the firewire ports and will react badly if you connect or disconnect any firewire devices whilst it's running

Connect the firewire lead to the camera or deck from your computer.
Turn the camera on and put it into VTR or Playback mode.
Launch FCP and you should then see the deck or camera when you go to log and capture. (not log and transfer)

Return to posts index

Karin Hazé
on Feb 13, 2015 at 3:15:52 am

Thanks Mark , it works!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]