FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting chroma keyed clip to After Effects (not animation setting)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daren Seifert
Exporting chroma keyed clip to After Effects (not animation setting)
on Feb 6, 2015 at 5:11:49 am

I have been using the animation setting with millions+ colors for the first half of my film and all the sudden AE is saying it's not supported. It's really irritating and putting me in a bind for this animation. Does anyone know another way of me getting the clip exported to AE without the black/white background? Thank you in advance!

A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
-William Blake

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Exporting chroma keyed clip to After Effects (not animation setting)
on Feb 6, 2015 at 2:56:19 pm

There's export as image sequence, but that's pretty tedious. Which platform got updated recently? Or are these both on the same system? I'm guessing it's actually an AE problem.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 6, 2015 at 5:36:18 pm

There are a few things it could be:
  • A new OS, which should NEVER be done in the midst of a big project in the first place
  • A new version of AE, which again should only be done following the completion of a big project
  • A combination of new versions, which make troubleshooting even more of a pain

Can you elaborate on your situation?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daren Seifert
on Feb 6, 2015 at 10:10:35 pm

I green screened some colored water and poured it on the screen and it looks great after it's chroma keyed. I also used it for various other "rain" effects that I created and exported the same way. When I first tried to export normally I realized there was a background there which wouldn't work for what I was using it for. I looked online and found out exporting as animation, millions of colors+ gets rid of the background. Awesome. I had also been having some rendering and exporting issues but resolved this by clearing some stuff off my HD (I onl had 10G of space) and I was able to render and export these same files i'm now having issues with. So I got them exported and the other day I had the bright idea to do a time machine backup and while doing so decided to clear my entire "downloads" folder to clear up even more HD space (100G to be exact). I was so stoked to get editing in the morning, until I opened my project and all the work I had with those chroma keyed clips was now giving me an error. I can send the error when I'm back at my laptop, but it's an AE error basically saying all those files aren't supported even though they were working fine the months before. Another thing I just found out last night was: If I exported the same file the same way at first After effects accepts it, but if I close the program at all and reopen it says the same thing. Online i've been reading it says it's a quicktime error but most of the files open fine in quicktime. Quicktime is fully updated and has been the whole project. That's why I would just rather worry about this after my project is finished and have some sort of work around for now without losing any quality. Thanks for the responses.

-William Blake

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 6, 2015 at 10:55:28 pm

You didn't happen to export the chroma key shots as reference QT Movies, did you?

If so, you're hosed because you got rid of the media that the QT Reference files were actually looking at.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daren Seifert
on Feb 6, 2015 at 11:09:51 pm

I'm not too savvy of the file side of Final Cut Pro so enlighten me to as what you mean by a reference QT movie. Because if that is what happened I would like to steer away from it next time. I'm not too hosed either way because after I finish with a scene I export it just in case something like this happens. So I have all my finished work except the scene i'm on right now.

-William Blake

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 6, 2015 at 11:58:12 pm

"Reference" is another way of saying, "not self-contained".

The file sizes, are much, much smaller because they just point to the media to which they refer, which is in a different location... perhaps a deleted render file.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Daren Seifert
on Feb 7, 2015 at 6:16:14 pm

They were all self contained.

-William Blake

Return to posts index

Daren Seifert
on Feb 7, 2015 at 10:33:49 pm

I'm going to try and export an image sequence right now. The animation is 30 fps, but the clips I need is only 15 seconds. And then later I will need a few more 10 second clips. Any tips on using a image sequence? this is my first.

-William Blake

Return to posts index

Daryl K Davis
on Feb 8, 2015 at 8:23:02 pm
Last Edited By Daryl K Davis on Feb 8, 2015 at 8:23:37 pm

I always use Automatic Duck to bring my FCP sequences into AE. Never had any issues. You can key in AE then.

It's now free:

http://www.automaticduck.com/products/piae/

-------------------------
DK Davis / Editor/ Post Super
-------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]