FORUMS: list search recent posts

25p, 25i, 50p and 29.99p on same project : problem ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Levivier
25p, 25i, 50p and 29.99p on same project : problem ?
on Feb 5, 2015 at 4:48:35 pm

Hi guys,

I am working on a big documentary with different kind of videos.
I have videos of 25p, 50p and 25i coming from a camcorder and videos of 29.99p coming from an Iphone.

I've already imported everything long time ago and already created lot of independent projects that I will use for the big movie later. Most of them contain only on type of videos (25p OR 50p OR 25i OR 29.99p) but there is also a few who have mixed videos. Is it a problem? Or will it be when I will export ?

I also realised now that some of the videos in 25i have very strong black lines when something moves on the camera. How can I fix that ?

Can I fix all those issues once the final movie is done before to export or do I need to take care of it BEFORE to mix different type of videos in a same project ? (That would mean I need to do again all the project with mixed videos right ?)

Thanks a lot for your help guys !

Have a good day.

Arthur.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 25p, 25i, 50p and 29.99p on same project : problem ?
on Feb 5, 2015 at 5:10:46 pm

[Arthur Levivier] "Is it a problem? "

Yes. FCP doesn't mix frame rates well at all. But the good news is that a vast majority is PAL, 25fps and 50 fps mix well. If you have a 25p timeline, and drop in 50p...every other frame is removed and it just looks like you shot 25p...so that's easy.

[Arthur Levivier] "Or will it be when I will export ?"

Yes. But this is an easy fix

[Arthur Levivier] "I also realised now that some of the videos in 25i have very strong black lines when something moves on the camera. How can I fix that ?"

That's interlacing. You won't see that on an HTDV properly fed a signal via an IO device (AJA, Blackmagic Design devices)...but computer monitors don't do interlacing, and display it improperly. If you don't want interlacing, simply slap a de-interlacing filter on it. I recommend one called SMART DEINTERLACER, from nattress.com

http://www.nattressplugins.com/film-effects/

[Arthur Levivier] "Can I fix all those issues once the final movie is done before to export or do I need to take care of it BEFORE to mix different type of videos in a same project ?"

Before. This should have all been done before you started cutting. You can do it after, but that means over-cutting the converted footage, by eye-matching it. There's not going to be a way to relink or automate this process. But since you only really need to worry about converting the 29.97 footage, there's not much to deal with.

FIRST off...what are you going to be delivering? 25p? 25i? 50p? This is vital, as that is what your sequence settings should be set to.

At this point, if I were you, I'd get to the point of locking picture. This way you only need to convert the clips used in the cut, rather than all of the media. Lock picture...duplicate the sequence...separate the 29.97 by putting them on a different video layer. Duplicate the sequence and remove all the differing frame rates...so you are left with the one that's 29.97. Media manage that...use the COPY option and have 60 frame handles. Take the files that were created into COMPRESSOR and convert them to ProRes 25p. You change the frame rate in the Inspector. In the FRAME CONTROLS area, turn it on, and set everything to BEST. Then submit and wait a while, as this takes a while.

OR...I wonder if Nattress still makes the STANDARDS CONVERSION plugin. HE DOES:

http://www.nattressplugins.com/standards-conversion/

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]