FORUMS: list search recent posts

Difficulty "logging and transferring "AVCHD footage into FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Cooke
Difficulty "logging and transferring "AVCHD footage into FCP7
on Feb 3, 2015 at 12:38:05 am

I apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm having problems getting AVCHD footage into FCP7. In the past, I used "log and capture" to capture footage from tape - no problem. I've also used "log and transfer" to capture media on P-2 cards successfully.

I'm now using "log and transfer" for AVCHD footage for the first time. The footage was shot on a Panasonic AG-AC90 camera and recorded to a SDHC card. When I put the SD card in the Mac it appears on the desktop, I believe as "Camera_SD." In FCP, when I open "log and capture" the clips appear as expected in the logging window. However, there appears to be no media with them. Their durations read 00:00:00:00. Nor is there an image. My understanding is that the files should be converted to Pro Res during this process. I have set my preferences to Pro Res Lite.

I'm stuck, so I would appreciate anyone's help with this. This is the first time I've worked with AVCHD footage. Thanks.

Bruce

Bruce Cooke

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Difficulty "logging and transferring "AVCHD footage into FCP7
on Feb 3, 2015 at 12:57:35 am

What OS are you running? And I wonder when that camera came out...because AVCHD formats between camera makers always differ slightly...are always being updated or changed. And FCP 7 was discontinued nearly 4 years ago...so if this camera came out after that, then FCP 7 wouldn't have support for that camera.

In cases where FCP cannot import the footage, I recommend ClipWrap2 from divergentmedia.com. Use it to convert the footage to ProRes LT. It's always up to date with current camera tech, and is designed specifically for AVCHD.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bruce Cooke
Re: Difficulty "logging and transferring "AVCHD footage into FCP7
on Feb 4, 2015 at 4:56:05 am

Shane,

Thanks for your advice. We're using OS 10.7.5, so I can use ClipWrap2. I'll try the demo. The footage was shot on a Panasonic AG-AC90, which I believe came out a year and a half ago. I didn't realize there was such variation of formats within ACVHD. I knew the footage needed to be converted to Pro Res to work with.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I've been at this for awhile. I started editing 35/16mm film on a flatbed transitioned to linear video editing, off and on-line. Then moved to non-linear, from the earliest systems on, shooting on Beta and Digital-beta then moved to Hi Def, P-2 cards and now SD cards.

Thanks again for your help.

Bruce Cooke

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]