FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove only one effect from multiple clips in timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Pepper
Remove only one effect from multiple clips in timeline
on Jan 31, 2015 at 1:31:23 am

I think I know the sad answer, but I'll ask anyway.
I've got several timelines in a project and many many MANY clips in each. A while back I went through and added "deinterlace" to all the clips. Pretty dumb. Anyway, then I read this thing about how you should NOT de-interlace EXCEPT in Compressor. So now, I guess I have to go back through each and every clip in every timeline and remove the deinterlace filter, right? Because you can only remove ALL filters with the "attributes" thingy. And I do have other filters I need to keep on many of the clips. Sigh. I tried creating nests of each timeline, but the nested track shows no filters (as it oughtn't because there are a variety I've used. but not on ALL clips}. Except of course deinterlace. PS, I'm deinterlacing because I'm showing the footage directly from a quicktime movie (which I'll create using compressor) from my laptop.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Remove only one effect from multiple clips in timeline
on Feb 1, 2015 at 3:50:26 am

the answer is NO, there isn't a simple way to remove one specific filter from a timeline full of clips.
there USED to be a product from Edit Mule that did it, i think, but that company has disappeared, unfortunately.

the simples way to approach that task now is to open the first clip on the timeline into the viewer, flip to the filters tab, and delete the de-intertlace filter.
then WITHOUT moving from the viewer window, hit the down arrow.
you will jump to the next clip on that track, and stay in the filters tab.

so it's still slow work but better than clicking each and every clip into the viewer.

"then I read this thing about how you should NOT de-interlace EXCEPT in Compressor"

that's not true at all, but you may still be better of cleaning up your sequence.

the best method IMO is to export your edited timeline as a self contained quicktime.
bring it back into FCP, and apply a de-interlace filter to the whole movie.

this mans the everything is properly de-interlaced,
if you apply a de-interlace to every clip, then some things WONT be de-interlaced, such as motion effects, wipes or dissolves.
if you export, and apply the de-interlace to that, then everything is made progressive

the BEST de-interlace filter for FCP is the Nattress Smart de-interlace.
it maintains the most resolution.

the FCP default de-interlace is quicker, but not quite as good.

im against working in compressor as you cant properly monitor your work, whereas you can in FCP.
when doing a full-on de-interlace job, i use more than one seeing, depending on the nature of the shot.

however, for a very quick solution, you can and i have) set quicktime to playback de-interlaced.
that's Quicktime player 7, which you would have if you have FCP. NOT Quictime X
(i may be wrong about X. it;d be good if i was, but i don't think i am)

nick

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
Re: Remove only one effect from multiple clips in timeline
on Feb 1, 2015 at 5:33:05 am

Nick, thanks so much for the detailed answer. I did do one batch by double clicking on each clip (!) but there's lots more to do and thanks for the easier way.
And thanks for the info about Nattress. I'll get it. Yes, I only use Quicktime 7! Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]