FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Audio greyed-out on timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Flor
FCP 7 Audio greyed-out on timeline
on Jan 29, 2015 at 7:43:38 pm
Last Edited By Jason Flor on Jan 29, 2015 at 7:46:51 pm

I just upgraded the REDCINE X program I use to transcode RED RAW files to quicktimes. Now when I transcode to Pro Res and drop the file into the timeline the audio channels are greyed out (not usable) and I get a nasty hiss. The video portion is fine. These files play back fine on the Quicktime player which means it's an FCP 7 compatibility problem with the new REDCINE X version anyone else encountered this?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: FCP 7 Audio greyed-out on timeline
on Jan 30, 2015 at 2:04:02 am

If the files play back in QT 7 go to, Window/show movie properties. Check the audio format. if it's anything other than Linear PCM big endian @ 48k then I suggest you export from QT to ProRes and change the audio to AIFF 48k. That should work.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 30, 2015 at 3:06:02 am

Redcine X may have options for audio output although it should be PCM 48k from the camera. If there are options for bit depth make sure it is 24 or 16 bit as FCP can't handle 32bit PCM files.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jan 30, 2015 at 4:00:39 am

FCP can handle 32k audio, you just have to open the 48k pre-set, duplicate it and change the sample rate to 32k. Then change the pre-set name to whatever codec "32k audio" save it as, and it will be there to select in pre-sets when needed.

In this case, if the converted Red files play OK in QT then it should be fine in FCP unless there is a mismatch somewhere because after all, FCP 7 runs on QT

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 30, 2015 at 6:59:40 am

[Roger Poole]"FCP can handle 32k audio..."

Yes 32k but not 32bit.

"Linear PCM
Channels 3.0 (LRC) (3 channels recorded in the camera)
24 bits
48KHZ"

Can't see any problem with RedcineX settings then. Try searching for answers on the Red User forum. There may be issues with OS and RedcineX versions as later Mac OS are moving from QT to AV Foundation which might change the way the audio files are written. FCP as an old legacy program might not work with the changes. You might have to use an older form of RedcineX.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jan 30, 2015 at 1:26:33 pm

Michael, you are right. My mistake.

Return to posts index

Jason Flor
on Jan 30, 2015 at 6:22:35 am

The audio settings window is slightly different from the previous versions of REDCINE X
But the settings are the same:
Linear PCM
Channels 3.0 (LRC) (3 channels recorded in the camera)
24 bits
48KHZ

Return to posts index

Jason Flor
on Jan 30, 2015 at 6:52:32 pm

Problem solved. There are two audio adjustments in the newest version of REDCINE X which were not in previous versions. In the Quicktime setup audio section there are two default selected items that need to be deselected. Under "Audio Overrides" deselect "clip frame rate" and "Mono Audio Channel Layout"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 30, 2015 at 11:20:11 pm

Ah, thanks for the feedback Jason. Helps others in search of the same issue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]