FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use old Mac hard drive as boot drive on new Mac to run FCP7 ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Use old Mac hard drive as boot drive on new Mac to run FCP7 ?
on Jan 22, 2015 at 5:05:22 pm

My 2007 MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo died, but the hard drive is okay. I have Snowleopard 10.6.8 installed on it with FCP7 and other apps.

I plan to get a new MacBook Pro Retina 15" with all the upgrades (pretty much just the processor), and that ships with Yosemite.

If I buy a hard drive dock like this for example: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3S3HD/ will I be able to use that hard drive connected via USB as a boot drive?

In theory I want to do this just so I can export projects from FCP7 if I need to. I don't plan on editing anything from scratch like this, I just want that access to FCP7 projects.

This is all still based on the assumption that a fresh install of FCP7 on the Yosemite OS on the Retina MacBook will not work properly.

Thanks kindly.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Use old Mac hard drive as boot drive on new Mac to run FCP7 ?
on Jan 22, 2015 at 6:41:24 pm

Sorry, it won't work. The old OS won't work on the newer Mac. There's a lot of hardware (like newer GFX cards) that require drivers that aren't present in the older software. So the mac cannot boot to older OS versions. You can't install older OS on the current drives, and you can't boot to it on an older existing one.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 22, 2015 at 6:48:42 pm

That's what I feared. Thank you for confirming.

"You can't install older OS on the current drives" meaning that Yosemite on that new MacBook Pro retina cannot take an installation of Mavericks or Mountain Lion?

Thank you again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2015 at 6:49:24 pm

[Rosie Walunas] ""You can't install older OS on the current drives" meaning that Yosemite on that new MacBook Pro retina cannot take an installation of Mavericks or Mountain Lion?"

Correct.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]