FORUMS: list search recent posts

25 fps to 23.97 (FCP 7 gives 24 fps option, MPEG SC gives manual input box)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naeem Moh
25 fps to 23.97 (FCP 7 gives 24 fps option, MPEG SC gives manual input box)
on Jan 21, 2015 at 12:59:53 pm
Last Edited By Naeem Moh on Jan 21, 2015 at 1:34:02 pm

1. I have two clips of footage from Dutch TV station which is at 25 fps. Rest of my footage (90% of project) in timeline is my own material at 23.98 ProRes422 1080p.

2. I was advised to convert the Dutch footage to 23.98 fps before bringing into FCP 7 timeline, rather than bringing in ad is amd letting FCP render into 23.98 (advised latter solution may create "hiccups"?).

3. QT Pro 7 only gives me option to convert (in Movie to Quicktime Movie option) to 24 fps. I asked my friend, and got a message back: "That's fine, but go into options and make timecode drop frame." I have not been able to figure out where she is asking me to do this.

4. If I use MPEG StreamClip instead of QT Pro 7, I seem to have the option to manually type in 23.98 as fps (see attachment), but not sure if this will create any glitch?

5. I presume I should choose ProRes 422 since rest of the footage (majority) is in that format?

6. Choose Interlaced Scaling?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 25 fps to 23.97 (FCP 7 gives 24 fps option, MPEG SC gives manual input box)
on Jan 21, 2015 at 4:48:31 pm

Are are ignoring two tools that come with FCP 7...Compressor and Cinema Tools.

With Cinema Tools you can "CONFORM" the footage to 23.98 (It'll say 24, but it really is 23.98). What that does is change the rate of the clip to 24...from 25. All the frames, not dropping one...so slightly speeding up the footage. like 4%. Pitch will shift slightly in the audio, and you can correct that. But that is the smoothest way to do it.

Compressor can convert as well. But know that ALL of the options simply drop a frame. Because there's no way to smooth that one frame per second out. Going from 24 to 30 interlaced is easy, because we are spreading frames out amongst fields and it looks smooth. But 24progressive to 30progressive...jumpy. 24p to 25p...or the other way around...no getting around that. Either a frame is doubled going 24 to 25...or a frame is removed going 25 to 24. Unless you CONFORM the footage and slightly change the speed of it. Thus why I use Cinema Tools, and then just correct the audio.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Naeem Mo
on Jan 21, 2015 at 6:20:46 pm

1. Tried CINEMA TOOLS and on my version it gives option to choose both 23.98 and 24 fps. Any reason you had suggested 24 fps? (rest of my current footage is 23.98 fps)

2. It seems CINEMA TOOLS overwrites the existing version without giving any warning. I pressed Conform button and didn't get any notification on where to save. But when I went back to the folder, the same file was showing a time of today 1:06 pm which means it had been overwritten.

3. In any case, I imported the overwritten/converted file into FCP but it still shows it needing rendering on the Timeline. This could be because the file has a data rate of 6.1 MB/sec? The rest of the files (which is what the Timeline automatically adjusted its settings to are 13.9 MB/sec. Besides that I don't see any difference with this file (trying to understand why it is still needing rendering).

A separate query:
1. The video files (not this 25 fps one, all the other already 23.98 fps files) have audio with 16 bit integer, but when I look at Timeline, it's settings are 32 bit floating integer. I had thought the result of dropping the 23.98 fps file into at beginning of project (before I encountered this particular 25 fps file) and clicking YES to the dialogue that asks should timeline settings be adjusted to match this clip was that all settings would match, but for some reason the audio had not?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 21, 2015 at 6:59:10 pm

[Naeem Mo] "1. Tried CINEMA TOOLS and on my version it gives option to choose both 23.98 and 24 fps. Any reason you had suggested 24 fps? (rest of my current footage is 23.98 fps)"

Ah...I see it does do that. Choose 23.98.

[Naeem Mo] "2. It seems CINEMA TOOLS overwrites the existing version without giving any warning. I pressed Conform button and didn't get any notification on where to save. But when I went back to the folder, the same file was showing a time of today 1:06 pm which means it had been overwritten."

Crud...sorry about that. Yes, it modifies the original file. I forgot to warn you that you need to COPY the media you want to conform, if you want the original to stay 25fps. So sorry...

[Naeem Mo] "3. In any case, I imported the overwritten/converted file into FCP but it still shows it needing rendering on the Timeline. This could be because the file has a data rate of 6.1 MB/sec? The rest of the files (which is what the Timeline automatically adjusted its settings to are 13.9 MB/sec. Besides that I don't see any difference with this file (trying to understand why it is still needing rendering)."

What are the sequence settings? What are the clip settings? If the sequence is set up for ProRes HQ, and your file is ProRes 422...you'll have a green render bar. That's real time and you don't need to render until the end. If the footage and sequence differ at all...in any way, a render bar will appear.

As for the audio question...don't worry about it. You don't need to render the audio, it's still 16 bit. The sequence defaults to 32 bit. Although you can change the audio settings and export it 24bit...but the original audio will remain 16 bit. Confusing? Yes. But nothing to worry about. If you exported a self contained QT, the QT exported will have 16 bit audio, unless you change it to 24 bit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]