FORUMS: list search recent posts

"General Error!" Appears after Attempting to Render Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Monskey
"General Error!" Appears after Attempting to Render Project
on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:05:26 am

FCP 7.0.3 (Mac Pro, OS 10.7.5)
I cannot render my project. I have saved and closed FCP, cleared the Render Manager of all my project renders to start over clean. There is enough space on the hard drive to allow for rendering, but after numerous attempts it will not allow rendering.
What might be the problem? And how to resolve?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: "General Error!" Appears after Attempting to Render Project
on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:56:41 am

What is the codec of the footage you are working with? Do you have any stills on the timeline? Are they over 4000 pixels in size?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:23:20 am

How do you determine the codec of a file? I looked on line but suggestions are to download an analyzing program. I'd rather not do this to keep my system clean.
There are no photo stills. There are some special effects backgrounds with matt filters on them. I can render bit by bit and complete the render task, but I have not been able to render entire batches in their entirety. I worked through it but it was a hassle to sit and milk it small percentages at a time.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2015 at 7:38:16 am

In the FCP Browser, scroll to the right until you see the COMPRESSOR column. There is where the codec can be found. The fact that you don't know what a codec is suggests that you didn't convert these files into a format that FCP works with. Unlike other editing applications (Premiere Pro) you can't just bring in any video file and start editing. It seems like it might work, but issues will arise...such as this.

Before you can edit the footage in FCP, you need to convert it to an FCP editing codec. For HD, that is ProRes 422. Compressor, that comes with FCP, can do this. As can MPEG STREAMCLIP...a free application.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Jan 20, 2015 at 9:21:55 am

The clips say "PHOTO - JPEG" in the compressor column of the project Browser. When the clips were downloaded they were labeled "HD MOV (MPEG)". I also have another version available labeled "HD MP4 (H.264)". The H.264 version is a substantially smaller file size, so I thought the larger file would be a higher quality clip. The MOV made me think it was a Quicktime file, compatible with FCP.
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2015 at 4:54:17 pm

Neither Photo JPEG nor H.264 are codecs that FCP works with. FCP doesn't just work with any Quicktime file. Quicktime is a container, and it can contain many possible codecs...like Photo JPEG and H.264, as well as the codecs FCP does work with, like ProRes, DVCPRO HD, HDV. You need to convert your footage to ProRes Quicktime files before importing.

Now...as a quick stop gap work around that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't...is to go into your Sequence Settings and change the sequence COMPRESSOR to ProRes 422. And then render the whole sequence. It'll render everything to ProRes 422. Then try exporting.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Jan 20, 2015 at 10:17:05 pm

Wow, Shane! Thanks for the helpful responses, insight and suggestions (and that you weren't scolding me with your responses. I know much of the Media 101 tech aspects of the business are missing from my background which is mainly the creative/artistic side.) This is a VERY helpful resource and I really appreciate your help.
Thank you!
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

Daniel Monskey
on Jan 23, 2015 at 12:19:58 pm

Shane,
I've converted some of the files to Apple ProRes 422. There are some of them (special effects) that are alpha channel files. I converted them in MPEG Slipstream but I think the alpha channel character was converted out and now the clear background is black. How do I maintain the alpha channel character when converting the files?
Dan

Daniel Monskey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]