FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Balking

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
FCP 7 Balking
on Jan 13, 2015 at 10:30:57 pm

Hi,

For reasons that don't need discussion, I'm still running FCP 7 on a Mac at one of my work stations.

I was working on a 2K HD project this afternoon on internal drives and had to shift to FCP X on a newer machine because FCP was balking at even playing files on the timeline.

Is there a consensus that the shift from SD to 2K HD is normally too much data for a mac to handle, or do I need to get the wrenches out?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP 7 Balking
on Jan 13, 2015 at 11:54:38 pm

The shift from SD to HD could have had nasty consequences, to say nothing of 2K. If your internal drives and bus can't sustain the bitrate for smooth playback, you could have problems.
An array normally solves these issues.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 14, 2015 at 9:38:48 am

Well...you mentioned a newer machine. Faster processors always help...and also, how was the drive connected to the computer? Mainly I'll wager it's the processors...plus the fast that FCX is newer and more capable of editing 2K than FCP 7 is.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 14, 2015 at 12:44:54 pm

What codec was the video?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 14, 2015 at 1:04:58 pm

[Ty Ford] "Is there a consensus that the shift from SD to 2K HD is normally too much data for a mac to handle, or do I need to get the wrenches out?"
"A Mac"... that's not a lot of information to go by. ;-) This would be like us asking you, "Is there a consensus that you can't record the sound of a jet engine clearly with a microphone". You would probably ask us which microphone and instruct us to put our ribbon mic away and use a dynamic mic instead.

A mac is quite capable of editing 4K extremely smoothly. Whether "your mac" can or not is a different story. I just helped someone the other day who was using a G5 Mac which is 11 years old now, to edit HD so if you're expecting some old outdated Mac to edit modern video formats that's probably not going to work so well. Also, discontinued software like FCP 7 isn't optimized for video formats that didn't exist when it was being developed. New formats usually require software updates.

If you can tell us which Mac you have, and what video format you're trying to edit, we can probably make a better recommendation to improve your performance although, as you have seen, and "newer" Mac with FCP X doesn't have problems with 2K HD.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 15, 2015 at 1:40:01 pm
Last Edited By Ty Ford on Jan 15, 2015 at 1:42:25 pm

HI,

It's a 2 x 2.6 GHz tower, no special video card.
Dual Core Xeon
12 GB RAM.

What codec?

I dropped the file onto the time line and got the usual, "do you want me to change the session to these specs?" and said yes.

Gotta say FCP7's laundry list of resolutions and codecs is pretty impenetrable for me.

The files work fine on a newer mac with FCP X

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:30:23 pm

Go to the bin containing your clips. Find the "Compressor" column. There's the codec.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:01:34 pm

Dave,

Thanks for the gentle nudge.

XDcam EX 1080p

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:36:09 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:14:59 pm

Hmmm... that footage isn't SD, it's HD.

Try making a timeline in the 2K dimensions (I presume it will be a 16x9 image), using the XDCam EX codec. Set the timeline's incorrectly-named Field Dominance to None. Frame rate remains the same as the footage.

Since the "p" in "XDcam EX 1080p" stands for "progressive", set the incorrectly-named Field Dominance for the footage to None, too.

You may not be able to make a timeline, because certain codecs have limitations on their dimensions... in which case, you may want to media manage your footage to ProRes 422. Then you ought to be able to make the custom timeline in ProRes 422, with no loss of image quality to the clips.

Okay, they'll still be HD, but FCP should fill up the raster with video when you add them to the timeline.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 16, 2015 at 12:54:38 am

Dave,

thanks for shining a light into my problem.

and, of course, when I went down to the studio this afternoon, I hit the space bar and the files played just fine.

However, your insights were really valuable to me. Parts of that whole codec thing slip away from me if I don't have my face in it regularly.

Thanks again,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]