FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animation: COMPLETE. Color correction related question...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Scalzitti
Animation: COMPLETE. Color correction related question...
on Jan 13, 2015 at 2:16:23 am

Hi everybody!

Just finished a massive animation-over-live-action video of aliens attacking and am in the finishing processes...

I'm stuck on what may be a common problem, but I think I haven't been able to describe it well enough to find out what the solution is.

Have a look at the image below- The brightest part of the lamp in the background (located below the monster alien's right hand) appears white in FCP 7, but appears black when viewing exports...

Apologies for the amatuerish question, as I've been devoting many months to the hand drawn animation and very little to color correction, but can anyone diagnose this problem and offer any fixing strategies?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Animation: COMPLETE. Color correction related question...
on Jan 14, 2015 at 5:43:35 pm

That light in the background looks WAY overexposed.
What kind of footage is it, and why aren't you using Apple Motion for a compositing job like this?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pete Scalzitti
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:06:37 am

Thanks for the response Dave!

This is a long shelved passion project (shot in 2008) that I've rediscovered and taken off the shelf and finally finished animating. Unfortunately, it was shot on the original Panasonic AG-DVX 100, so the footage is 24p 640 x 480 NTSC Mini DV.

I created the edit in FCP 7. Now that the animation is done (and on it's own layers, separate from the footage) I'm interested in fixing the footage with overblown lighting situations and looking for advise.

In the sequence, the footage doesn't have the black spots that appear in my screen grab around the top edge of the lamp.. This has happened in a few other VERY bright areas of the footage.

When I perform a quicktime movie export, the black spots in the overexposed areas appear.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:52:53 pm

How real does it have to look? No matter what you use, it's always going to look fakey because of the extreme overexposure on that light. Ain't no way to fix it so it looks real.

If you really want to stay in FCP, cripes, just use the 3-Way Color Corrector. It'll do about as good a job as anything -- and its rarely-used controls on a secondary panel limit the area to be corrected. You have to hunt for them.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:55:25 am

[Pete Scalzitti] "In the sequence, the footage doesn't have the black spots that appear in my screen grab around the top edge of the lamp.. This has happened in a few other VERY bright areas of the footage."

your best bet, i'd say is to use the Broadcast Safe filter.
3-way Colour Correction won't always be able to deal with those super-hot spots without severely darkening the rest of the frame.
but the Broadcast Safe will simply clamp them down.

it wont ALWAYS work, but it's pretty easy to give it a go.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]