FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 upscaling workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
FCP7 upscaling workflow
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:05:57 pm

OK, I have a project. It it is a PAL 16:9 SD timeline. most of the footage is SD DV but there is some (maybe 10%) DSLR footage and some HD AVCHD (under 5%). Once we picture lock I want to up-scale. It seems the After Affects CC detail preserving up scaler is the beast to use but I want to know the work flow. I would also want to preserver the edit (it is 1 hour and we may in the future need to recut for TV).

I am thinking media manage with big handles (maybe 2 minutes), upscale the clips, create a HD timeline. Cut/paste sequence and relink footage (the last bit is where I see the problem). Does this make seance or is there a better alternative method. Was wondering if FCP 10 would help (I believe the project can be loaded into FCP 10). Would this help/make re-linking easier or am I going about it all wrong?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP7 upscaling workflow
on Jan 12, 2015 at 6:35:15 pm

I'd be tempted to just upscale the SD clips right away. Then you have all your options open to you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:13:31 pm

Dave L, not sure if I totally follow. Do you mean upscale rushes, which is something I considered but the overshoot was monumental!

David R, I totally get what you are saying but the stuff I have seen using AE CC does look like it makes a difference. Every little helps. Will look into options you mentioned. Its shot with nice glass so looks quite good on a bigish TV. I actually help at a Cinema with a really nice NEC 2k projector and even DVD looks quite good. Squeezing every drop possible out of footage is the plan. Its a doco not drama which helps;).

Thanks both of you taking the time to reply, I am sure Elvis will be greatfull;).
Ben

--

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:48:00 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:49:48 pm

Well, you said you're not totally finished with the edit: you may re-edit for TV, which means HD. While you're upscaling the current clips to cut together with the other HD clips, you might as well upscale everything all at once.

After Effects' upscaling feature is good, but it won't work miracles. Cripes, hardware won't work miracles on DV, either.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:58:03 pm

Davie L, indeed, only god can work miracles;).

Was thinking of media managing with big handles and upscaling the new clips. I guess I am wondering if HW upscaler will be significantly better than AE CC. It will certainly be faster which may make the decision for me.

So assuming I was going to upscale MM project or everything, my question would be what is the workflow in terms of do I create a new HD sequence and relink or something else (like go to PP or FCP 10). The advantage of staying in FCP 7 (or 10) is PP Resolve round trips seem a bit flaky (it would be CS6 as the subscription model is a killer for me).

Ben

--

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2015 at 11:39:48 pm

As the Good Mr. Weiss wisely points out, run a test. Try both upscaling workflows on the same clip and see which looks best to you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Jan 13, 2015 at 2:03:05 pm

I don't have access to up-scaling hardware, I don't even have AE CC. Can get CC but the hardware is not something I can borrow. If we went the HW route we would either buy it or rent it (probably buy it used and sell in on) so I am not in a position to just try it. Was hoping someone could point me at a good article comparing various methods or has done it themselves and can help me work out if it is worth going the HW route.

So that's which method to use do it, which was part of the question, the main question was about workflow not the actual conversion (i.e. relinking etc.).

Regards,
ben

--

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 12, 2015 at 8:14:53 pm

Upscaling DV to HD via software is not going to be "appreciably better" no matter which software you use - it's just the nature of DV and it's color space. To test this for yourself just scale one single shot in AE and then put the same shot in a 1920 X 1080 timeline and scale that to fill the frame.

FYI, scaling DV via hardware, with a Teranex being the best bet and AJA Kona being 2nd best, you will still not notice that much difference, again simply by virtue of the inherent issues of DV as your original.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]