FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with frame rates, maybe?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Condez
Problem with frame rates, maybe?
on Jan 9, 2015 at 6:30:50 pm

Hi guys, a studio friend using final cut 6.0.6, gave them clips from two cameras, from 60d and 70d.
They said frames rates are different, one is 29.97 and 23.98. Project is finished and plays on timeline, but have problems when they export the project. Is there a work around with this situation?
Please let us know your opinion or advice. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Problem with frame rates? Definitely.
on Jan 9, 2015 at 6:53:25 pm

FCP stinks at mixing frame rates.

It can only ACCOMMODATE footage of different frame rates, it can't make them work seamlessly together.

Your pals are going to have to go back to SQUARE ONE, pick a frame rate, convert all footage to that frame rate and re-cut. I'd probably convert the 29.97 footage to 23.976 uaing Compressor or even better, Twixtor.

Incidentally, 23.98 is just a nickname for the REAL frame rate, 23.976.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
on Jan 9, 2015 at 8:18:12 pm

Oh, that stinks.
Isnt it that all clips get converted upon importing the files? Is there a conform function in fcp? Im tying to help and i use a totally different editing software, just so happen the project is 3 hours long and his deadline is tomorrow. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 9, 2015 at 8:54:00 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 9, 2015 at 9:03:24 pm

3 Hours' worth of mixed frame rate footage? The deadline is TOMORROW?

Well then, he's hosed and there's nothing you can do to help... not at this point, with only 18 or so hours left. You don't have enough time. Not even if you worked all night. You would have been out of time three days ago.

He'll just have to live with it, I guess. I recommend exporting that 3-hour timeline to ProRes 422, and using Compressor to create the file for final delivery. He ought to have just enough time for that. Then maybe he should go back to learn the FCP Basics for the next project.

Cinema Tools has a conform function, but you need copies of the original footage.... which you don't have. Besides, conforming only changes the frame rate. If you conform 30P footage to 24P, it's 1.25 times slower and 1.25 times longer. If you conform 60p footage to 24p, it's 2.5 times slower and 2.5 times longer. God help you if you have lip-sync audio in either case if you conform.

Try digging yourself out of that hole in just 18 hours.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 9, 2015 at 11:59:20 pm

[Gerry Condez] "Isnt it that all clips get converted upon importing the files?"

If you use Log and Transfer, and set in the preferences the format that they are to be converted to (ProREs 422, ProRes HQ), FCP will convert the codec...it'll convert the footage to ProRes. But FCP never converts the frame rate. But Log and Transfer doesn't work with those cameras, as they came out after FCP was discontinued. And you are working with an even OLDER version of FCP

If you simply IMPORTED the footage...FCP doesn't convert at all. It makes clips that point to the media as it exists. So if you have QT files from Canon DSLRs, and you just IMPORTED them...no conversion was done at all And FCP doesn't work well at all with the format those camera's record...H.264. That leads to all sorts of issues....sync issues, general errors, exporting problems. So if you simply imported H.264 footage, in mixed frame rates...yeah, you have painted yourself into a really big corner. One that will take days to straighten out.

First off, you'll need to figure out what frame rate you want to master as...what frame rate you want to be the main frame rate. And then you'll need to convert the footage to that frame rate. But because your show is already edited...this will have to be done in very specific ways to retain the edit. And know that converting any progressive frame rate to another progressive frame rate won't look smooth. So i even wonder if converting the frame rate in another app would make any difference in how it looks. It'll look stuttery no matter what you do.

[Gerry Condez] "Is there a conform function in fcp?"

There's a Media Manager...that will convert the footage on your sequence to another codec. But it does nothing to the frame rate.

[Gerry Condez] " just so happen the project is 3 hours long and his deadline is tomorrow. "

You'll not make that deadline. I agree with David...this will take days to solve. and you'll need to find an FCP expert to do it. This is something that's too big to explain in a forum.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problem with frame rates, maybe?
on Jan 9, 2015 at 8:16:44 pm

What are the problems when you try to export? Did you convert the footage to ProRes before editing?

What is the frame rate of the sequence? What frame rate do you want to export? Where will this be viewed?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
Re: Problem with frame rates, maybe?
on Jan 9, 2015 at 8:54:49 pm

Thanks Shane, just spoke with him and said he had general errors when he exported file. So far, he managed to do some work around with the problem. Anyway, i send him the link to this post so he can continue on incase he get stuck.
I appreciate all the help from all of you here. Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]