Gen. Error message & Codec identification

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Trimmer
Gen. Error message & Codec identification
on Jan 3, 2015 at 9:35:18 pm

Hi again,

I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to tell what codec my footage is? (It was downloaded to my computer by another person.)

2) When I open AE, I get only the Browser, the Viewer, and a General Error message. When I click the OK for the general message, my cursor turns into a ripple tool and, after a few moments, the rest of the interface shows up and the cursor goes back to normal.

I can then use the Browser and Viewer. I can load footage from the Browser into the Time Line. After that, all I get are General Error messages.

Any idea what's going on? Even better, what I can do about it?

Thanks,
Pat

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Gen. Error message & Codec identification
on Jan 3, 2015 at 10:18:10 pm

[Pat Trimmer] "1) Is there a way to tell what codec my footage is? (It was downloaded to my computer by another person.)"

In the Browser, scroll over to right to the COMPRESSOR column.

[Pat Trimmer] "2) When I open AE, I get only the Browser, the Viewer, and a General Error message. When I click the OK for the general message, my cursor turns into a ripple tool and, after a few moments, the rest of the interface shows up and the cursor goes back to normal."

AE? After Effects? Or FCP? Might need to ask this in the AE forum. If you mean FCP, then this could be related to the footage. It might not be an editing format. Or it could be a large still image...FCP can't deal with stills over 4000 pixels.

[Pat Trimmer] "Any idea what's going on? Even better, what I can do about it?"

Find out what codec the footage is. If it is anything other than ProRes, DVCPRO HD, HDV, Apple Intermediate...then it'll all need to be converted to an FCP editing codec...such as ProRes. FCP doesn't work with MP4, H.264 QT files, AVI...or other highly compressed QT files. It has to be an FCP editing codec. You might need to convert all the files on the finder level, and then make a new project and import those into the new project.

And if they aren't in an editing codec, point the person who provided you with these files and this project to this forum thread...so they know what they did is wrong.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]