FORUMS: list search recent posts

questions abot Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
questions abot Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor
on Dec 29, 2014 at 9:42:26 am

Hi,

I had a very high quality music video that was shot on like a $100,000 video camera almost 10 years ago.
At the time, when I exported the edited video from FCP timeline, I chose Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor, not knowing anything about the Codec. The name just sounded like it was probably the best quality. There is no way for me to go back to the original now, the tapes are all lost, so i only have this Sorenson video to work on.
I had gone ahead and transcoded the Sorenson video to DV NTSC and re-edited the eintire video. It's looking great. But the original video was widescreen and this one is not widescreen (instead it's 720x480). Is there a way to get the widescreen back like the original? Would choosing anamorphic in sequence settings solve that?
Is Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor broadcast quality? Does it work for the big screen?

thanks

Return to posts index

raju bhai
Re: questions abot Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor
on Dec 29, 2014 at 9:58:34 am

Just to clarify one of my questions above, The Sorenson video is widescreen, but after i transcoded it to DV NTSC the new video is not widescreen. Is there a way to restore the widescreen of the original in the sequence settings? I cannot re-transcode the video as I have already edited the entire piece.

thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 29, 2014 at 11:03:09 pm

Choose ANAMORPHIC in the QT Browser, that should make it wide screen. Is it squished now? (anamorphic) Or letterboxed?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Dec 30, 2014 at 1:13:45 am

Hi,

The video is presently windowboxed. When I turn on anamorphic in the sequence settings, the video becomes stretched (squished) and for this particular video that doesn't look right.

Perhaps I'm stuck with the windowbox look?

The very original video was shot in HD by one of the top cinematographers in LA but i then exported the video from FCP about 8 years ago with Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor codec. I was a fool, i assumed that "decompressor" in the name meant that it was "uncompressed" full quality. Anyay, hopefully, it is still good enough quality for TV broadcast.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 30, 2014 at 7:35:29 am

[raju bhai] "Perhaps I'm stuck with the windowbox look?"

Yup. If it's letterboxed (windowboxed) in a 720x480 space...then you can't get the widescreen look. What you have is "baked" in...

Sorry

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Dec 30, 2014 at 2:31:55 pm

I prefer to call a video that is both letter boxed and pillar boxed...litter boxed. :)

Not my monkeys. Not my circus.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]