FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Quicktime H264 HD files to high quality WMV files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy Bowman
Converting Quicktime H264 HD files to high quality WMV files
on Dec 29, 2014 at 2:17:43 am

Hello their fellow film makers,
I am currently editing in Final Cut Pro 7. I am shooting on a Sony PMW EX3 in HD. After finishing a 6 minute project I am exporting it out as a WMV file as my client is on a windows based system. I have exported the file out as quicktime (H.264) and the quality is amazing. Unfortunately the client is a major engineering firm and they are not switching to quicktime type platform. When try to export of Final Cut Pro as WMV file using flip for mac, at the highest resolution the quality looks horrible!! I have also tried converting the H.264 quicktime file format to a WMV file in MPEG stream clip with no luck. Another thing I tried was converting the the H.264 quicktime file to a WMV file in ISKYSOFT software. The quality was great but it stopped and started and played very jerky. Any suggestions from my fellow film makers on how to successfully convert a quicktime file to a WMV file and maintain excellent picture quality as well as consistent stability in playback? Please HELP ME!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Converting Quicktime H264 HD files to high quality WMV files
on Dec 30, 2014 at 4:11:38 pm

I have used the free SmartConverter from the Apple App Store for converting to WMV with some degree of success.

You might also be able to give your client an AVC/H.264 MP4 file. MP4 files play on any modern version of Windows without any need for QuickTime. (and by "modern" I mean Windows Vista, 7, 8, but NOT Windows XP or Windows 2000 which are not longer supported by Microsoft and your client should not be using anyway) Check and see if they can play an MP4 file as that would be a better delivery format to use.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]