FORUMS: list search recent posts

aiff file in view is correct duration but when inserted in timeline its 6 seconds short

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hal Beery
aiff file in view is correct duration but when inserted in timeline its 6 seconds short
on Dec 26, 2014 at 5:25:50 pm

I exported the audio tracks, as usual, to Audition as AIFF file (and tried Soundtrack Pro but same results) then reimported the file as AIFF back to FCP 7.0.3 (OS 10.6.8).

In the viewer the duration of the file is correct(1.40.23.10), matches the timeline duration. BUT.... when inserted in the now two tracks of audio (down from 7)... its about 6 seconds short (1.40.17.10)

Timeline is a 1920 1080i 16:9, square, no field dominance, timebase 25, xdcam ex 1080p 25 compressor. audio 48k, 16bit, config channel grouped.

WTF??????

I've tried wav files and aiff from Audition and Stp. I've done this many times on shorter projects and no brainer easy sweet.

What is missing here????
tnx
HalB

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: aiff file in view is correct duration but when inserted in timeline its 6 seconds short
on Dec 26, 2014 at 5:30:09 pm

The inccorrect audio sample rate, perhaps?

Did you export a wav file from audition? They can have frame rates, and there may be a mismatch.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
Re: aiff file in view is correct duration but when inserted in timeline its 6 seconds short
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:06:20 pm

Thanks but all files same format. 48k 16bit. I didnt
See a frame rate on the wave so I'll check that out.
Otherwise all files behaved the same in the viewer
And short in the timeline. Whether aiff or wav

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:26:11 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:32:34 pm

Doing some arithmetic, it appears to be a 25fps vs. 24fps issue.

Using the time posted above, I figured out the total number of frames at 25fps, then at 24fps.

The difference between the two: about 6 seconds. I have a feeling that's not just coincidence.

Another thought: if you recently changed your machine's OS to Yosemite, you should know that it was never designed with FCP in mind. You could be experiencing one of those things that just won't work properly any more on your 3 1/2-year-old video editing software.

Since you mention Audition, you might want to start cutting in Premiere Pro.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:52:31 pm

Thanks Dave. I agree on the time diff having something
To do with it but What To Do?????
In fact i even dumped a file into a 30 fps timeline
And it worked fine. Even though it came from a 25 fps
Timeline export to aiff. Also i dont understand how this project is different. I have done a ton of short subject web videos for corp websites via the same workflow in 25p.
I'm in India, so maybe i just need to turn the chapati over and try peanut butter! :-). Ps... OS 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 26, 2014 at 7:15:30 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 26, 2014 at 7:30:45 pm

Then I'd say it's time to trash preferences using Digital Rebellion's free preference manager and repair permissions using the tool in the Mac OS to do it.

Other things to try: delete all the project's audio render files using the FCP Render Manager, create a new edit timeline to see if the time discrepancy goes away, or importing everything into a new FCP project for the same purposes.

And of course, it wouldn't hurt to scrutinize your work so far to confirm that no frame rate mistakes have been overlooked; you know, the "How did THAT happen? I NEVER do that!" sorts of things.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 26, 2014 at 11:29:25 pm

"what to do?"

the important thing is that your sequence pre-set matches the frame rate you are currently working with.

it can very easily NOT match, as you may have inherited the project, or maybe used the "match sequence to clip" function.

anyway , chose a sequence preset that matches your current frame rate, (and remember that the ones labelled as 24fps are actually 23.976, if you need true 24, you have to create your own)
then re-import the audio files.

nick

Return to posts index

Hal Beery
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:52:28 pm

Thanks Dave. I agree on the time diff having something
To do with it but What To Do?????
In fact i even dumped a file into a 30 fps timeline
And it worked fine. Even though it came from a 25 fps
Timeline export to aiff. Also i dont understand how this project is different. I have done a ton of short subject web videos for corp websites via the same workflow in 25p.
I'm in India, so maybe i just need to turn the chapati over and try peanut butter! :-). Ps... OS 10.6.8

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 1, 2015 at 12:46:55 pm

The sound sync issue may be the dreaded FCP feature of stamping a frame rate on imported audio which is wrong. Matt Lyons tutorial explains why this happens and how to correct this.Also read his comments as he has discovered some new techniques.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1178226

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]