FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange FCP7 VO tool problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve dann
Strange FCP7 VO tool problem
on Dec 23, 2014 at 2:21:50 am

Recently recorded a vo using the vo tool and the result sounded like it was speeded up and / or higher pitched. Anyone else had this? I didn't have time to check it out but closed FCP and trashed preferences and it was ok for remainder of hour long edit. Have been running with currenty configuration for some time, no recent changes, this is new and scary.

FCP7.0.3 on 3GHz Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM on Yosemite (hope that's not the reason)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Strange FCP7 VO tool problem
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:56:14 pm

What was the sample rate of the audio? 44.1kHz? If so, use an app other than FCP to convert the audio to 48kHz... that's what FCP expects to get.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
on Dec 23, 2014 at 11:40:38 pm

I'm curious how FCP7 runs for you on Yosemite. Are you also using Motion? 4 GB of memory sounds kind of small for FCP7, IMHO.

I don't doubt Dave's sage advice about translating audio to 48kHz, as it's probably best to use the native sample rate. I've successfully used other sample rates, with rendering.

If you used the FCP voiceover tool to capture the audio, it would seem very odd if FCP couldn't play back its own recording.

Let everyone know if you see the issue again, or if your recording turns out to be something other than 48kHz.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 24, 2014 at 12:31:51 am

Ooooh, I missed that bit about Yosemite. I wouldn't run that OS with legacy FCP.

Somebody told me that funning FCP 7 on Yosemite is a lot like running Wordperfect on a Win 7 machine... yeah, quite a few things will be okay, but you can't help but run into things that will be just plain wrong.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Dec 24, 2014 at 12:59:43 am

Thanks for input. Definitely using 48kHz audio and can't provoke fault with 44.1 set in VO tool. Never had a problem with 4gb ram, I rarely do anything that needs rendering. Might wind back to 10.8 as a precaution though.

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Dec 24, 2014 at 8:47:11 am

FCP seems fine on Yosemite with 4GB RAM Didn't think FCP addressed more than 2.5GB anyway and I rarely do stuff with lots of rendering. Of course this problem may be the first indication it's not ... and this us why I have a backup Mac book running 10.8 ...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 26, 2014 at 7:28:53 pm

Okay, then here's the last thing I can think to do: open the FCP Render Manager. Delete all the audio render files for the project. Re-render all of the audio to see if it makes a difference.

Other than using Digital Rebellion's free preference manager to trash preferences and repairing permissions, I'm out of answers.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Dec 26, 2014 at 8:22:25 pm

Hi Dave, Thanks once again for the ideas. I've decided that Yosemite is an unknown and therefore risky and reverted to !0.8 which I've used incident free for a couple of years.
Trouble is I'm always editing to deadlines in the next few minutes so there's never time to ponder and try one potential solution at a time, so I'm unlikely to find out exactly was the cause was assuming it doesn't happen again of course. I've taken to trashing prefs and repairing permissions as preventative maintenance ... we'll see .....

Thanks again

Steve.

Return to posts index

Andrew Johnstone
on Oct 21, 2017 at 10:27:23 am

I have just had exactly this problem with FCP7 on Mac OS Sierra.

We had a new temporary edit suite set up for a film I am working on in Bristol. When we cam to record the VO on a 1920/25 ProRes timeline, the audio (set to 48khz/16bit) played back at Mickey Mouse speed. Neither the editor nor the engineers at Auntie could work it out.

I brought the project file home to continue rough cutting on my system - where I have never had this problem - and the VO issue replicated itself on my system, to the answer is that it was simply a bug in the project preferences.

The solution I found was to set the VO tool to record at 44.1 khz (you can toggle this setting in the VO window in FCP7), record a test, render it, then reset the VO tool to record to 48khz. This fixed my problem...

HTH

Andy

Andy Johnstone
Wild Dog Limited
film & multimedia production
http://www.wilddogworld.com

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Oct 21, 2017 at 12:18:20 pm

My solution was to reselect input even if its already selected and then never close vo tool. Minimising is fine, closing will require input to be reselected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]