FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoded DVD Video and Audio get progressively out of sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Conlon
Encoded DVD Video and Audio get progressively out of sync
on Dec 22, 2014 at 9:41:07 am

Hi,

I've been trying to finalise a family Christmas DVD (on & off) since last December but keep having the same show-stopping problem where I just can't get the timing of the audio and video right after encoding it to MPEG-2/ac3 for DVD Studio Pro. When I lay it into the track in DVDSPro it plays fine at the start of the track but as the clip gets longer the audio and video gets further and further out of sync, by 1-2 seconds (eg. for over 1 hour length footage).

I've seen similar posts about timing issues but nothing I saw has been using my version (most of the posts are a few years old) or has hit the nail on the head for me.

Here's the specs:

FCPro X 10.1.3

Video project: 1080i (@ 25i)
Audio 44.1 kHz
Render: Apple ProRes 422
Length: 01:13:05:02

Compressor 4.1.3

MPEG-2 Setting (only what I think is important... or I don't know)
Format: Elementary Stream
Stream Usage: DVD
Retiming: Set duration to: 100% (shows 01:13:05:02)
Video Frame Rate: Auto (25fps)
Field Order: Same as Source
GOP: greyed out at 12

ac3: Sample rate: 48kHz (the only choice)
Data rate: 224 kbps

DVD STUDIO PRO 4.2.1

FYI, when I drop both a DVD Audio and Video codec onto my stream in Compressor they show as Retiming 100% but the results are still unsynchronised, at the end of the clip, when they are placed into the Track in DVDSPro. I've also tried changing different settings, like MPEG-2 Retiming duration to "So source frames play at 25 fps", but I'm still having troubles.

At one point I managed to get the A/V timing right for the above track (01:13:05:02) and I then ran what I thought was the same settings for all my other tracks but they ended up with a similar outa-sync problem so I deleted everything to try again and realised I'd deleted my good files. And I just can't seem to replicate it again, hence my post to this forum.

Also, strangely, when I open the MPEG-2 file in QuickTime Player (10.4) it shows 01:10:30 long but if I open the same file in QuickTime Pro 7 it shows as the correct 1:13:05. What’s with that? And DVD Studio Pro shows 01:13:05:02 for both the audio & video assets but their timing is still out at the end. What’s with THAT??

I'm hoping it's a simple solution for someone who knows what they're doing - for me it's still a mystery!

Thanks in anticipation,

Brett

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Encoded DVD Video and Audio get progressively out of sync
on Dec 22, 2014 at 9:00:40 pm

What kind of master file are you encoding (what codec)? Is it in sync all the way through?

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.3, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Brett Conlon
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:46:48 am

Thanks for coming to my rescue, John! :)

The videos originally came from my Panasonic HDC-HS300 as MTS files. I believe they are being converted to ProRes 422.

If I Share them as a composite file, eg. Apple Device 720p (H.264) and make m4v files, everything is in perfect sync. It's only the exporting to MPEG-2 format as separate files that I'm getting the outs-sync problems. I'm sure that something in either my ac3 or MPEG-2 Compressor setting is not right.

Cheers,

Brett

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 23, 2014 at 12:21:43 pm

I suspect the H.264 master file might be the problem. Try exporting a ProRes master, use that in Compressor and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Brett Conlon
on Dec 23, 2014 at 1:57:38 pm

Sorry John, I'm not quite following you. The original file was MTS (AVCHD) and when I import it into FCP it's converted to ProRes 422. I don't see H.264 in the mix anywhere.

I did test the audio-sync at one point by exporting as a H.264 (as mentioned in my previous response) but the file was perfect when played in QuickTime Player. Unfortunately I can't import such files into DVDSPro.

Cheers,

Brett

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 23, 2014 at 4:08:04 pm

I thought you said something about h.264, but I couldn't find it. Anyway, my workflow is to always export a ProRes master file and use that in Compressor. Any inter-frame codec can be trouble as a master.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.3, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]