FORUMS: list search recent posts

Unwanted changes in speed of video. Why is this happening?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Rosenfeld
Unwanted changes in speed of video. Why is this happening?
on Dec 20, 2014 at 8:48:07 am

Hi, every time I go into the motions tab for my video clip (in the viewer pane) and set a point to zoom in on the image and change its centering, it also changes the speed as an unwanted side effect after rendering. And once this is done, I can't even figure out how to normalize the speed again. It doesn't show up in the speed settings in that tab. The clip just suddenly moves in hyper speed but leaves the audio normal.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Unwanted changes in speed of video. Why is this happening?
on Dec 20, 2014 at 9:42:20 am

What is the codec of the footage? What are your sequence settings?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Rosenfeld
on Dec 20, 2014 at 10:40:37 am

The footage was shot on an iphone, H264 and 960 x 540 pixels. I custom set my capture settings and sequence settings to the same codec and pixel ratio so that I could put the footage into the timeline without having to render after. But I still had to render for some reason.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 20, 2014 at 1:34:31 pm

The iPhone shoots remarkably good video but unfortunately at a variable frame rate which changes on the fly depending on lighting conditions. In my experience it all looks good on the phone but when you transfer it to a computer things start to fall apart. If you want to shoot video with the iPhone for anything other than fun then I suggest you get '
'Filmic Pro' which gives you full control of frame rates and everything else.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2014 at 4:56:05 pm

FCP doesn't work with H.264 video. You need to convert it to a format it works with...like ProRes. But FCP also only works with broadcast frame sizes...720x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080. So far you have two strikes against you. And I'll wager the frame rate, as mentioned, is variable. FCP only works broadcast frame rates...23.98, 29.97, 59.94 (25fps and 50fps in PAL land).

You need to use Compressor to convert to ProRes...and I'll suggest bumping the frame size to 1280x720, and the frame rate to 29.97.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eric Rosenfeld
on Dec 21, 2014 at 12:22:05 am

Thanks to both of you for your clear and helpful replies. I never knew that FCP 7 didn't work in H264, altho it's true I've only used ProRes with it so far. I also didn't know these things about iphone. I would think the two would be more compatible since they're both Apple products. Is Filmic Pro something you're supposed to download to the iphone or to the computer where you're gonna do the editing?

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Dec 21, 2014 at 12:08:26 pm

H264 is generally used as a delivery format and because of it's complex frame structure Fcp7 won't work with it very well which is why everyone converts it to ProRes prior to editing.
Filmic Pro is an app that you use on your phone. It gives you full manual control, just like a regular video camera. There are tons of reviews on google or YouTube. It's not free but worth buying.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Dec 22, 2014 at 8:49:39 pm

FilnicPro is a paid iPhone app. As mentioned you have a lot of control over the video and the output is excellent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]