FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCS with FCP7: pro video formats update and YOSEMITE update

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
FCS with FCP7: pro video formats update and YOSEMITE update
on Dec 20, 2014 at 5:29:33 am

Hi, 2 questions:

1 - I am using Final Cut Studio (not sure if it is FCS3 or FCS5) with only FCP7, motion and compressor installed. My OS is 10.8.5 mountain lion. When i goto software update in macbook, one of the updates available for my computer is "Pro Video Formats 2.0" which says it includes support for various codecs such as apple intermediate, apple prores, etc. also adds MXF support with final cut pro x (which i don't have). Should i go ahead and update or will this mess up the functionality of my version of Final Cut Pro?

2 - Is it Ok to upgrade to Yosemite from mountain Lion considering I am using FCS Final Cut Pro 7 and a 2008 17 inch intel core 2 duo macbook?

Please let me know, much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCS with FCP7: pro video formats update and YOSEMITE update
on Dec 20, 2014 at 9:46:39 am

1 - That is only for FCX...and you will definitely mess up your working system. Compressor won't work at all. You already have Apple Intermediate (introduced in FCP 5) and ProRes (introduced in FCP 6).

[raju bhai] "2 - Is it Ok to upgrade to Yosemite from mountain Lion considering I am using FCS Final Cut Pro 7 and a 2008 17 inch intel core 2 duo macbook?"

No. You will mess up your working system. FCP 7 isn't supported on Yosemite...Yosemite was released 3 years after FCP 7 was discontinued. FCP 7 wasn't taken into consideration when it was written. Functionality in FCP and Compressor broke with the previous OS, Mavericks...it only gets worse with Yosemite. FCP 7 is Quicktime based, and FCP is stripping down QT with every release...removing functionality.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
Re: FCS with FCP7: pro video formats update and YOSEMITE update
on Dec 20, 2014 at 2:55:04 pm

OK, in that case I will stick with mountain lion....and also won't allow the Codec update . There is another update available for my computer which is Pro Applications Update 2010-02 1.0. Perhaps that one is good? It says it's recommended for Final Cut Studio users as well.

Also, I have the full Final Cut Studio package. But on my gf's computer I want to install only the FCP7 and Compressor apps (she has limited space on her laptop). Would i be able to add the Motion app at a later date or would i end up having to do the entire installation over again?

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]