FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony F5 import problems into FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Sony F5 import problems into FCP 7
on Dec 15, 2014 at 3:54:38 pm

Hi,

I am running OSX Yosemite using Sony Content Browser 2.3.1. I am having trouble importing sony F5 footage. When I go to File, Import, Sony Content Browser (SCB) in 7, it takes me to SCB interface. I can view and click on footage fine. When I right click on a clip and try to import it into Final Cut Pro, it gives me the following message...

"A clip that cannot be imported into Final Cut Pro is included. There may be no codec for Final Cut Pro. Please confirm the update information of Final Cut Pro".

Any ideas on what I need to do to make this work?

Thanks,

Pete

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony F5 import problems into FCP 7
on Dec 15, 2014 at 4:38:19 pm

Your issue may be the Yosemite OS. FCP is a quicktime based application...that's it's core. Apple is moving away from Quicktime, and more towards AV foundation. QT7, which had many professional abilities (as well as the core of FCP), is not part of Yosemite. Yosemite uses Quicktime X...and even then, in the Yosemite OS, it can't play back many of the codecs it could in Mavericks or earlier versions. features are being removed.

NOw, if you updated to Yosemite from previous versions, you might still have QT7, but it might not be working right because Apple is no longer supporting it, or taking it, or FCP, into consideration when it wrote the OS. IN fact, this is the second OS to come out since QT7 and FCP 7 were discontinued.

Solution...if you need FCP 7 to work properly, you need to run it on a supported OS.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Dec 15, 2014 at 8:50:10 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. So to keep using FCP 7, could I use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode the files to ProRes? If so, do I need to transcode everything in ProRes (Regular), save all that footage for online, then transcode that to Proxy to edit with?

Or can I just trancode to proxy first, then when my picture is locked, upres to ProRes (Regular) through media manager? In other words, is there a way to figure out what clips were used in my final picture locked sequence to only transcode those to ProRes instead of all the raw footage?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2014 at 9:57:45 pm

The key issue is the operating system. Yosemite was never designed with FCP7 in mind. Running FCP 7 on Yosemite is a crap shoot at best.

The only way to ensure that FCP will perform as expected is with an earlier operating system. Whether that's valuable to you can only be determined by you.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 15, 2014 at 10:10:50 pm

[Peter Vandall] "So to keep using FCP 7, could I use Adobe Media Encoder to transcode the files to ProRes?"

Yes. I guess it depends on what format was shot...XDCAM or XAVC? I know that EditReady converts XDCAM...not sure about XAVC. If XAVC was shot, you wouldn't be able to use FCP to import at all. Might even need to resort to RESOLVE. How will this be finished? Graded and output?

[Peter Vandall] " If so, do I need to transcode everything in ProRes (Regular), save all that footage for online, then transcode that to Proxy to edit with?"

All depends on what this is for, and how much drive space you have.

[Peter Vandall] "Or can I just trancode to proxy first, then when my picture is locked, upres to ProRes (Regular) through media manager?"

Nope...won't work at all. Once you transcode outside of FCP, the FCP offline/online workflow doesn't work. So you'll either have to convert to full res and work with that, or use something like REsolve to convert to an offline res, and then online with Resolve...send an EDL or XML to reconnect to the master footage.

[Peter Vandall] "In other words, is there a way to figure out what clips were used in my final picture locked sequence to only transcode those to ProRes instead of all the raw footage?"

Not if you do the conversion outside of FCP 7...unless you use the Resolve workflow for initial transcode, and ultimate finish.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]