FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting DSLR footage from Final Cut Pro 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Wiley
Exporting DSLR footage from Final Cut Pro 6
on Dec 11, 2014 at 5:07:44 pm

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the long post, I'm a little new to the whole DSLR workflow. I recently bought a new Canon Rebel T5i and have been testing its video, and so far it has been good, but ran into something strange when exporting a QuickTime using the "Current Settings" directly from Final Cut.

After downloading the footage to my computer I used MPEG Streamclip to convert the footage to Apple ProRes 422 (I converted the 1080 footage to 720 because my ancient MacBook Pro doesn't seem to keep up with 1080, but I'm okay with that for now). I bring the footage into Final Cut (I'm using Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 that I've had since college) and conform the timeline to the settings of the footage and everything edits just fine.

The problem I noticed is in the export. I did one version through Compressor to convert it back to an H.264 format for web and everything looks fine, but when I tried exporting an uncompressed version directly from Final Cut (File ->Export -> QuickTime Movie) using the "Current Settings," I noticed that on a few shots the exposure would change in the last frame or two before cutting to a new shot. This is only in the exported file, it does not happen while playing in Final Cut or in the H.264 version I created.

It reminds me of a problem that a friend of mine ran into when he tried to import H.264 footage from a DSLR directly into Final Cut. The exposure would randomly change. But having converted my footage to Apple ProRes before hand, I avoided this problem in Final Cut, just not sure why it occurs in the export.

Any advice? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting DSLR footage from Final Cut Pro 6
on Dec 11, 2014 at 10:07:41 pm

Did you export a reference movie? Or self contained?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Derek Wiley
Re: Exporting DSLR footage from Final Cut Pro 6
on Dec 11, 2014 at 10:12:13 pm

@Shane, exported as self-contained movie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]