FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lots of trouble working with Avid DNxHD in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Bucci
Lots of trouble working with Avid DNxHD in FCP7
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:30:59 pm

I'm starting up on a feature that was delivered to me as FCP7 project file, sound sync and quicktime files using the DNxHD 709 codec. I have the latest Avid codecs v2.5 installed. In FCP everything looks good. I am able to play and edit though there is a bit of a hesitation. The major problems are and effect on the clips in the time line causes a full render. Even just a dissolve. When rendered it also does not play back only black appears and if starting in black in the sequence picture stays black even when it comes to video. I am at a loss of I am running OX 10.10, could this be the problem?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Lots of trouble working with Avid DNxHD in FCP7
on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:45:28 pm

That OS is part of the issue. FCP 7 isn't supported on that OS...meaning Apple didn't take the working needs of FCP 7 into account when they made that OS. QUicktime is the core of FCP, and Apple is moving away from QT, and towards AV Foundation. They do have QTX, but it's severely hampered...not as good as QT 7. QTX barely supports DNxHD. In fact, it really doesn't. If you try to open it, it'll convert it first.

Second...DNxHD is an AVID codec, not an Apple one. You'll get no real time effects with that format. Even if you make a matching sequence, any effect you add will require a render. FCP likes ProRes, barely works with DNxHD.

This project was started on the wrong foot. And is on two left feet due to the OS you are running. Ideally you should be editing with Avid if you are using DNxHD files. Or the media should be ProRes if you are cutting with FCP 7. And you should be running OS 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8. 10.9 and 10.10 aren't supported. So you'll have to muddle your way through this...or go back and set things up properly...Convert all the footage to ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Bucci
on Dec 10, 2014 at 5:55:26 pm

Yup I asked for prores and they did it DNx on pcs to save time. Ugh well there goes a week.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 11, 2014 at 10:29:08 pm

OR -- they can give you the footage in form which you, as editor, require to do the edit.

OR -- you can give them the bad news that because of their laziness, the edit is now a week away from even beginning. I hope you get to bill them for it!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 11, 2014 at 11:51:19 pm

forget it.
DNxHD in FCP might be ok for joining a few shots together,
but for serious editing? no way.
too clunky.
for a feature, as i say just forget it,

you need to re-transcode.

if it's done right you should be able to re-connect, and not lose any more time.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]