FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting dropped frames too frequently in one of my projects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
getting dropped frames too frequently in one of my projects
on Dec 7, 2014 at 3:33:30 pm

Hi,

I am getting the dropped frames dialog box frequently while playing my video timeline. I wonder why this is happening. I have other FCP projects on the same FW drive with a lot more going on and i don't have this issue.
For my problem project, my clips are in h.264 format, 1920x1080, .mov extension, 23.98 fps. And I also have clips in the same project that are a different format. These are h.264, 320x240, .mp4 extension, 25 fps. So as you can see the frame size, frames rate, and file extension are different.

Could it be that the frame rate needs to be the same for all clips? What about frame size? file extension?
One other thing, i have the sequence settings at: h.264, 1920x1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9), square, 23.98 editing timebase.

Also, when I export the timeline to a quicktime file, the export plays on both quicktime or VLC very weird and jerky with frozen frames and white garbling, etc.

I am using FCP7

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: getting dropped frames too frequently in one of my projects
on Dec 7, 2014 at 7:00:25 pm

[raju bhai] "For my problem project, my clips are in h.264 format, 1920x1080, .mov extension, 23.98 fps. And I also have clips in the same project that are a different format. These are h.264, 320x240, .mp4 extension, 25 fps."

FCP 7 doesn't work with H.264 files. All sorts of problems when trying to work with that format. This is just one of them. There are also sync issues to deal with. Never edit H.264 files in FCP 7...you always need to convert them to ProRes 422 before you bring them in and start editing.

[raju bhai] "Also, when I export the timeline to a quicktime file, the export plays on both quicktime or VLC very weird and jerky with frozen frames and white garbling, etc."

Yup...see...another one of the H.264 issues. FCP 7 and H.264 don't mix

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Dec 8, 2014 at 5:44:54 am

Hey thanks Shane!

So the clips that are 320x240 are poorer quality to begin with (downloaded from youtube)….and the 1920x1080 clips are from an HD video camera but it isn't a high end camera, not like a canon d-series.

So does it make sense to transcode them to apple prores 422, or would you recommend another codec option?

Also, does it matter that the timebase is different for each group of clips? One group is 23.98 and the 320x240 group is 25fps. If you recommend that all the clips in the timeline be the same frame rate, then how would you recommend to transform the frame rate?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 9, 2014 at 11:59:14 pm

Don't mix frame rates: that's just asking for trouble.

And what are you supposed to deliver? That will determine a lot -- horizontal/vertical dimensions, frame rate & codec are the big ones.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:49:51 am

Hi,

In this project two thirds footage was shot on canon 7d (or 5d). It is: h.264, 1920x1080, 23.98fps. The other one third footage was downloaded from youtube and is: h.264, 320x240, 25fps. The audio is different for the 2 as well, the first one is 48khz and the lower quality one is 44.1khz....but i'm replacig the entire audio track anyway (it's a music video), so not sure if it matters that the audio sampling rates are diff for the 2 sets of footage.
So i imagine i need to trascode everything into apple prores 422. Does that mean transcoding the lower quality youtube footage as well into prores? I should probably make all the footage the same setting right? probably 1920x1080, 23.98fps, 44khz for everything?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2014 at 10:03:11 pm

You have what is known in colloquial English as "a Hot Mess".
  • Your frame rates don't match, and they need to match.
  • All your audio should be at 48kHz -- that's easy to fix. If yuou fail to fix it, you will have sync problems.
  • NONE of the video should be in H.264. It should be transcoded to ProRes 422 at log & capture time.
  • No one knows how you should be working -- image size, frame rate -- because you haven't said a word about what you must deliver
Other than that, you're just fine.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Dec 12, 2014 at 4:50:59 am

Hi! it's a music video I am making. And the target for this one is Youtube.
Should i transcode these into regular apple proress 422 with FCP Compressor? two thirds of the clips were shot on canon 5d and the other one third are the inferior quality downloaded footage, but seeing that all the footage needs to be uniform then i guess i need to transcode everything including the inferior footage to proress 422, right?

yes, a hot mess alright!

Oh! one other thing, i have already edited about 80% of the video when all the problems started arising and compounding. I don't want to have to re-edit from scratch.
So i am looking at this as a possible solution:
1 - I create a new folder for the transcoded footage on my drive and rename the footage when trascoding to exactly the same as the original names.
2 - then I create a new timeline sequence with new sequence settings that conform to the transcoded footage, then copy the sequence of clips in the bad timeline and paste them into the new timeline, then reconnect the clips in this new timeline to the transcoded ones.

Do you think that should work?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 12, 2014 at 9:30:44 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't give you a definitive answer.
I've never let myself get into this sort of situation, so I don't know how to get out of it.

Unless someone else has better information, I'm afraid the only way to fix this that won't result in disaster is to get the footage in its proper frame rate and codec from the start, which means you have to start from the very beginning.

You will have learned two very important lessons about FCP, however: match the frame rates, and always work in ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]