FORUMS: list search recent posts

work flow FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tonya easbey
work flow FCP7
on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:10:41 am

FCP7 work flow question:
Have about 1TB of media, mostly interviews, that I need to cut into a 57-minute feature using a 2010 macbook pro and drobo setup.
• Media is coming in as ProRes 422 (HQ), some DV/DVCPro-NTSC, some XDCam EX 1080i60, and some h.264 (Canon Mark III media).
• A little less than half of the audio is 44 KHz, rather than 48 KHz.
• None of the Mark III footage coming to me is synced with the audio.
• Small amount of media is 24 fps, most 29.97 (or 30 as ProRes calls it).

I doubt this will ever go theatrical, but small chance it will run the festival circuit, so can't assume only need broadcast quality.

What is best work flow to 1) match audio so everything will sync on single timeline, 2) convert media so I can edit on my older system, 3) and have best output for delivery?

(I've been editing with FCP for 10 years now, and still question how best to convert/match all this miscellaneous media that comes my way from multiple sources. Is there a good reference source (book, online blog etc) available to us creatives who get mangled with tech?)

Tonya Easbey
AdagioProductionsMT.com
Granada Hills, CA 91344
tonya@adagioproductionsmt.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: work flow FCP7
on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:39:07 am

[tonya easbey] " and some h.264 (Canon Mark III media)."

Convert that to ProRes 422 immediately. Do not edit the H.264 native.

[tonya easbey] "• A little less than half of the audio is 44 KHz, rather than 48 KHz."

From what source? Convert that to 48k 16 bit stereo AIFF immediately as well.

[tonya easbey] "• None of the Mark III footage coming to me is synced with the audio."

OK...typical. Then it's up to you to sync it.

[tonya easbey] "• Small amount of media is 24 fps, most 29.97 (or 30 as ProRes calls it)."

OK...we need to be precise with our numbers here. By 24fps, do you mean 23.98, or 24fps straight up? And most of it is 29.97...not 30fps straight up, right? 30fps straight up can be an issue.

[tonya easbey] "What is best work flow to 1) match audio so everything will sync on single timeline"

Hopefully you either have slates to match picture and audio. Or if not, then slaved timecode (audio and video have matching timecode)...but that is usually a pipe dream. What you do is find a common point on both the audio and video...typically a slate...mark IN points on both. Then you GROUP the clips. This makes a new clip with audio from the recorder and the video. A new clip with sync'd audio. Repeat the process with all the footage.

or...

Invest in PluralEyes software by Redgiantsoftware.com. It'll make new sequences with the footage all lined up.

[tonya easbey] "2) convert media so I can edit on my older system"

How old of a system? FCP 4.5? FCP 5? FCP 7? This matters, as not all versions of FCP are compatible with ProRes. But the ProRes footage should already work...the DV as well. The XDCAM footage, that can be brought in via Log and Transfer or the XDCAM import tool (need to install the Sony XDCAM TRANSFER UTILITY and Log and Transfer plugin). All of the Canon Mark III footage will have to be converted with Compressor to ProRes...as log and transfer doesn't work with the Mark III

[tonya easbey] "3) and have best output for delivery?"

This all depends on what the delivery is. DVD? DCP (Digital Cinema Projection)? HDCAM SR tape? OP1A MXF file? ProRes 422 or ProRes HQ Quicktime file? And what frame rate? 23.98? 29.97? You'll need to settle on a main frame rate right away, and convert all the footage not at that frame rate, TO that frame rate...before you import and edit. FCP doesn't mix frame rates well. But yes, you need to know your delivery format right away, before you convert and edit...so you know what you are working towards.

Storage...what do you have for storage? 1TB of media isn't saying much...as the Canon Mark III H.264 files are smaller in size than the ProRes format they need to be converted to.

[tonya easbey] "Is there a good reference source (book, online blog etc) available to us creatives who get mangled with tech?)"

My blog has been tackling the issues I've come across, and solved, with FCP for 10 years. Although lately it's not seen much actvity, due to me moving to Avid and working on shows with NDAs, so I can't say much. But you can poke around that. I also say hire a post supervisor or someone who knows what do to...and have them lay out a workflow for you.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]