FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kelly armstrong
MXF format
on Dec 1, 2014 at 4:10:02 pm

Hi there,

I've just been asked by the DIT what format I would like the MXF files to be converted to. This project is getting professionally graded, however we don't have a colorist on board yet.

I was wondering if MXF files can be color graded like RED RAW's are? If so, ill tell the DIT to transcode the files to a 1080p prores, rather than a 4K prores.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MXF format
on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:54:47 pm

Have them converted to ProRes 422 files. And make sure however they are converting them, they retain whatever project they used to do it. If they used Resolve...then they need to keep the Resolve logs, or whatever. So you can send an EDL or XML from FCP to the colorist who can then grade the original camera masters in Resolve.

Or...if they will grade in FCP or Color...then the ProRes files will be fine. ProRes HQ if you have the space, and IF they are indeed going to go that route. But not sure you want all the rushes as ProRes HQ 4K files. You'll need serious hard drives to play that back...and a LOT of space.

It's really wise to know how you will be finishing before you do any converting. Helps figure the process out. Without knowing that, you are seriously flying blind...and can paint yourself into a corner really quick.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

kelly armstrong
on Dec 1, 2014 at 6:02:21 pm

Thanks Shane. Apologies for my ignorance, but are you refering to DaVinci Resolve? As in the Phantom MXF files can be brought straight into DaVinci?

If this is the case, then I guess I could tell the DIT to transcode everything to proress 422, 1080p to save space on the drive and then color grade the raw MXF files...do you agree?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2014 at 7:31:55 pm

I was speaking of DaVinci Resolve. And sorry, I know nothing about the Phantom, or if those files can be brought into Resolve. Communicate with the DIT about conversion, and how they intend to convert, and how that can be tracked later for online, relinking to camera originals.

Get a post supervisor on this if you can. If not talk to a finishing house ASAP. All roads lead to the online, so you need to figure out how that is done, THEN figure out the path you are taking to get there.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

kelly armstrong
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:15:50 am

Thanks for the help. I'll speak to the DIT and find out what needs to be done, and send a follow up comment for anyone who is interested.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]