FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Pro Res Horrible Dark Export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Keogh
Apple Pro Res Horrible Dark Export
on Nov 26, 2014 at 2:22:45 am

Been through a lot of these, people seem to just want to explain why they think it's happening and such. I'm kind of looking for an answer/way around it. Exporting in FCP 7, to Apple Pro Res looks absolutely nothing like my timeline and is horribly dark. I've done some gamma adjustments on the timeline to make it closer on export. How do we defeat this? In my Quicktime 10 there is NO tab for Final Cut Colors, and I've read that hasn't even been the solution. My solution needs to involve FCP 7, not other apps.

Thanks guys,
-Jon

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Apple Pro Res Horrible Dark Export
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:20:38 am

[Jon Keogh] "My solution needs to involve FCP 7, not other apps."

Then I'm afraid you aren't going to get what you want. First off, the FCP interface and what is exported, what QT sees...won't match. They aren't designed to. Now, in QT7 you CAN go into the preferences and check off "FCP color compatibility." That will make it match closer. But the simple fact is that the Viewer and Canvas in FCP aren't designed to show you what the footage really looks like. Thus why, for broadcast TV, we rely on capture cards and broadcast monitors.

For the web...there isn't a best practice. The broadcast monitor will look the closest, but it's designed to show you TV colors, not computer display. I know that FCX WAS designed to show you what it will look like when exported...because that was a huge request. But that's an outside app..separate from FCP 7....so...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jon Keogh
on Nov 26, 2014 at 3:33:55 am

That's what I hear...it's odd because they've been airing on TV fine in HD for almost 2 years now. What about this...Suddenly when I try to use Quicktime Conversion, it refuses to let me change the size dimensions. Is this a bug or something I can fix?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 26, 2014 at 4:04:05 am

[Jon Keogh] "That's what I hear...it's odd because they've been airing on TV fine in HD for almost 2 years now."

Most likely they were graded with a professional broadcast monitor...no?

[Jon Keogh] "Suddenly when I try to use Quicktime Conversion, it refuses to let me change the size dimensions. Is this a bug or something I can fix?"

Why are you using QT Conversion? You shouldn't be. That recompresses. Export a QT Movie, self contained. If you need to compress, use Compressor.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]