FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is Our 5D MII & MIII footage not looking as sharp as it should?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Hughes
Why is Our 5D MII & MIII footage not looking as sharp as it should?
on Nov 24, 2014 at 8:46:25 pm

Can I ask for some input as regards how you load your 5D MII or MIII footage to FC7 to optimize picture quaility? We're convinced that our picture quality is less than what we see on many other company's sites. If I had to peg one picture characteristic it would be contrast. Second to that is sharpness and the quality of our blacks. This is with prime lenses, so we know it's not the lenses. Our images look nice, but others look crystal clear. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Tx

Thomas H

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Why is Our 5D MII & MIII footage not looking as sharp as it should?
on Nov 24, 2014 at 9:22:01 pm

Compression. Because that's what you are comparing it to...other people's "sites." So you are comparing it to how it looks, compressed, on the web. Well, it's also color correction. If you want good looking images, it isn't all lenses and camera, color correction plays a BIG role. Quality of blacks...that's part of color correction. Get a professional colorist to work on your footage.

And then compression. That is a dark art. Because compression always means tossing out some, or a lot, of color information. how else are you going to make the image smaller? Unless you throw out some picture quality...that's what makes the files so big. So, you need to work on all sorts of compressing types. Test what looks good...or hire someone to do this for you.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Why is Our 5D MII & MIII footage not looking as sharp as it should?
on Nov 25, 2014 at 4:12:53 am

Does it look good before you import it? Are the scenes well lit? Are you using a monitor when you shoot? Settings? You should post a small sample clip. You'll get much more feed back.

If Shane is right and it's all about grading and color correction, and if you can't afford a pro, there are many good tutorials on line about these. The clips from high end cams can look really dull until they are color graded.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]